A:
> la "whats

J:
> > > What's wrong with the picture of somebody not
> > > wanting to be overshadowed?  You've got me
> > > curious--can you articulate it?

U:
> > I'd love to hear akasha's answer,

I may sell tickets then :)

U:
> but mine
> > would be, "It's a marvelous way of clinging
> > to the notion of unenlightenment.  To want
> > to not be overshadowed, you have to believe
> > you are.  And the funny thing is, the moment
> > you drop that belief, you aren't.

:J
> Yeah, that answer would be bull.
>
> Especially from somebody who admits he isn't
> enlightened.

Does it strike anyone else as funny, even absurd, that the whole
paradigm about enlightenment on this list is dichotomous, digital,
either "on or off"?

Pure consciousness begins from the first mediation. If not before. And
it can be delicate at first, and fade (yellow dye and cloth anyone?)
or become "overshadowed". But it keeps coming back. Sometimes more
noticable, sometimes present only when one notices it --- "where are
my glasses?" ("you are wearng them, silly") is a good analogy.

For example:

The day after I was initiated, I walked around high school with a four
foot grin on my face. I was so happy and glowing. There was something
present that had not been so present or obvious as before. But it
didn't last. But it kept getting "renewed". To only fade amongst the
trials of teen angst (which had pretty severe dimensions in those days
-- such as -- should I let myself get drafted and sent to vietnam, or
go to jail to protest a war I think is wrong."

On my TTC, back when we rounded 16 hours a day for 6 months -- if we
wanted (some pagans actually took lunch and socialized -- not ME! :)
I would get up at 4 am and round till five of eight, and slide to the
dinning hall door just before it closed for dinner. And then "float"
in. It actually felt like I was not walking and was floating. And
people would comment "holy cow dung! you look like you are floating".
This was way before the siddhis -- but that THING was so present that
I did feel like I was floating around with a big hellium ballon holdng
me up. And when I got back to "the field", the field was overwhelming.

Once teaching, for a while I was fortunate enough to be in a situation
where people would line up "for miles" to get initiated. 50
initiations, 50 pujas in a weekend were not uncommon. The next day day
I woul d often feel that I was walking through Presence, it was so
dominant, thick and pervasive. And after a while, it faded.

To hold, as some appear to, that we meditate for 20-30 years and then
one day, the room goes from total darkness to total light, is funny,
in a charming way. So to the extent people keep insisting IT is
already there, they are correct -- to a degree. It comes and goes. Or
more corectly, though still inaccurately, we move into it, and then
get bounced out. To deny and hold that Presence is NEVER there is
being a bit silly, IMO. But who knows. I only know my own experience.
And a lot of people I taught or have hung out with.

On the other hand, when neo-advaitists sell a dichotomous view of
"enlightenment", and on top of that proclaim "You just need to BELIEVE
Peter, and you CAN fly" (as in Peter Pan), "Just BELIEVE it and you
ARE enlightened -- and the light will be fully and eternally ON" --
they are being silly too, IMO. Awareness, by itself, Presence, is not
SUDDENLY found at the top of the moutaintop after a 20-30 year climb.
Or after some mind game. Its there everyday, to a degree. And as "we"
enter into it  more, the bouncer at the door, throws us out less often.