Reply to Iran I Tea

 Although I read Aurobindo's Life Divine and Synthesis of Yoga, the real heart
of his yoga appeared in his collection known as Letters on Yoga. This
collection that gave me the first taste of yoga-bhakti with its “opening
upwards to the Adya Shakti” (i.e. the Divine Mother). The idea being that She
would then begin to guide one’s personal sadhana.
 In those collected letters there was much discussion about topics only found
in certain Bhakti and Tantric texts. Aurobino generally didn’t talk much about
those texts because “Tantra” was a dirty word in his day.

 However, his first yoga teacher, Vishnu Bhaskar Lele, gave him a simple
instruction that liberated his attachment to his mind and allowed unceasing,
silent awareness to appear. It was an instruction based upon Samkhya-Yoga,
although not in the Samkhya texts themselves. However, none of that alters the
fact that Sri Aurobindo did not understand Shankara's subtle elucidation of the
brahma-jñâna transmitted by the major Upanishads.

 For his part, MMY appeared to be very influenced by Swami Lakshmanjoo's
Kashmiri Shaivism. Thus the Kashmiri theories of the causal transformations of
Shiva/Shakti into the universe of duality appear in MMY’s Rig Bhasya as a
"self-referral" causality. None of this is kevala advaita, although MMY didn't
seem willing to say so.

 However, I would point out a few things you may be unaware of in these
matters.

 No one on FFL quotes Shankara’s commentary on the Bhagavad-Gita because no one
here has read it.  MMY doesn’t refer to it, except maybe in one place (I don’t
remember where). For Shankara’s part, he follows the Gita “as is” rather than
artificially breaking it into three (3) parts. Instead he discusses the two
nishta-s (not two paths but rather two different types of resolute-observance)
– jñâna-yoga for the knowers (samkhyânâm) and karma-yoga for the practitioners
of yoga (yoganâm). Bhakti does not constitute a separate observance in the Gita
teaching because it is included and assumed as essential within these two
nishta-s.

 Also, few here comprehend that Shankara points directly to “awareness” as the
key. That is to say not some yogic “pure awareness” (as if awareness somehow
becomes impure because thoughts defile the mind). Nor was he asserting
awareness “beyond thinking, some yogic nirvikalpa samâdhi. Rather, following
the Upanishads, he asserted the primacy of awareness “as-such”, the very
awareness we have throughout waking, dreaming, deep sleep. Following the
Upanishadic declaration of satyam-jñânam-anatam (real, knowingness, unending)
any of these terms are interchangeable doorways to immediately recognize the
mahavakya - “That I am”.

 So what is this “That”? Only Awareness - which is what we are … the rest is
appearance … neither the same, nor different but rather an indivisible whole -
also known more accurately as Brahman.

 This is why Shankara recommended nididhyasana: the contemplation of one's own
nature by tracing back the radiance of awareness to it's root and dispelling
the idea that we are just the body, senses, mind, intellect.

 So as a follow through, some catching-up is warranted. Thus, for those who
might be interested (or not), here are some references:

 How To Attain Enlightenment (the vision of non-duality) by James Swartz (on
Amazon). This is a funny title. But the book is an accurate account of Shankara
teachings as transmitted by the traditional Advaita-Acharya, Swami Dayananada.

 Shankara’s commentary on the Bhagavad-Gîtâ, translated by Swami Gambhîrânanda,
at Vedanta Press.

 Madhusûdana Saraswati’s annotation on the Bhagavad-Gîtâ called
Gûdhârtha-Dîpikâ (also at Vedanta Press) which historically starts the
interpretation lineage of using Patanjali to contextualize Advaita. However,
Madhusûsana was both a consummate Kevala Advaitin (composing the famous but
difficult Advaita-Siddhi) and a realized Krishna-bhaktin of intense devotion.
In fact, his final views in the Advaita lineage are so complete that Shankara
Advaitin-s no longer concern themselves with answering the objections of the
various “schools of vendanta because Madhusûdana already has answered them.

Welcome to the arena of examination. This is not Prairie Dog Vedanta.

 Iran I Tea sez:

 Wow, you read the Life Divine in 1966, that's really impressive, I wasn't even
in puberty then. Maybe you should have done a re-read later on, it is difficult
to imagine you could grasp the whole content then. Anyway, everybody has his
own path.

 I first heard of Mirra Alfassa in 1973, when she died, and I had just started
TM. You could have visited her still.

 But I have to agree with Richard, that Kevala Advaita of Shankara represents
only a fraction of the Indian philosophies. Maybe Aurobindo misinterpreted
Shankara to some extend, but then how about Ramanuja and all the other
Vaishnava Acharyas? Didn't they study Shankara extensively? Also, basically all
other, similar Indian systems of philosophy, like Shaiva Siddhanta of the
south, Kashmir Shaivaism, and all the Tantras disagree with Shankara on the
issue of Maya. So, Aurobindo is actually much closer to them, seeing Shakti,
Mahamaya as a Divine creative force, much as Aurobindo defined it, only that he
connected it with the idea of evolution. To say, I read Aurobindo in 1966, and
I'm done with him, is not at all doing justice to him, you would actually also
experience what he describes, in order to understand him.

 To me it seems that Maharishi makes quite a few allusions to Aurobinoen
philosophy, in some of his more esoteric and advanced lectures, which usually
not in the public domain. For example when he speaks of the realization of
Shiva (the transcendent), Brahman, and finally the Divine Mother, going beyond
the former two, and then adds, 'and there is no end to the Divine Mother'.
Which shows the influence of tantra and shaktism in his system. He also
probably borrowed some of Aurobindo's thoughts, when he spoke about the
absolute body. There he is probably more near to siddha philosophy and
Aurobindo, than to Kevala Advaita. So, I think Richard is quite right.

 Today is the first day of Navaratri. So cheers and Jai Guru Dev :-)