MMY and the TMO can't compare to all your life accomplishments, Barry. LoL!

Let's see, you've spent the major part of your adult life in cults and given thousands of dollars to at least two cults we know of. And, what have you got to show for it? A job that sucks in a town that sucks making a few dollars so you can buy coffee at a Paris cafe and write comments to post to spiritual groups on the internet. Very impressive! Did I leave anything out? LoL!

On 10/26/2013 3:09 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

> In my experience this is really good market analysis. I think you
guys really care.
> -Buck

Careful, Buck. You *know* what happens to those who dare
to disagree with Ms. Authority, especially if she's gone on
record as saying that the analyses you think are good are
bad, and STOOOPID. Keep this up and you'll become
FFL's next stalking victim. :-)

But yeah, I think the analysis is spot-on. The TMO's whole
marketing strategy is based on a cultist self-importance
fantasy -- that the world is filled with people who just can't
wait to become Just Like Them.

All those unhappy people out there in the world want
nothing more than to "evolve" to the level in which they
spend four hours a day sitting and grunting and bouncing
around on slabs of foam in a big room full of other people
Just Like Them. Having paid several thousand dollars
for the privilege. Yeah, right. :-)

That's a cult fantasy. The world is full of people who *might*
be in the market for a simple technique that could improve
their lives, and allow them to enjoy them more and be more
productive in them. They are *not* in the market for a
technique that *eats* their lives and renders them centered
on traveling across town like the Eloi marching to the domes
of the Morlocks in "The Time Machine" twice a day so they
can sit and grunt and bounce and sleep together. And by
"sleep together" I mean use the "flying time" to fall asleep,
not "sleep together" in the sense of gettin' it on with your
cult buddies. There *might* be a market for that; there
isn't one for convincing people to spend thousands of their
hard-earned dollars to become a classic cultist.

You know my position. I don't think the TMO has a ghost
of a chance of being able to "bring more people to meditation"
any more, because it drags along behind it the stinking corpse
of its own bad history and bad reputation. It's like a parade
of losers -- in the front is da King, followed by a bunch of
Raja-dweebs in their robes and crowns, followed at a discrete,
well-mannered, and above all *appropriate* distance by
their own wives, the Rajinis, who after all are not evolved
enough to walk beside their husbands. Then come the non-
Raja-dweebs like Bevan (a towering zeppelin of good health),
Hagelin (once considered a scientist and now considered a
crackpot), and David Lynch (accurately considered some-
thing of a pervert and the essence of gullibility itself). Then
come all the hangers-on still clinging to the ideas of self-
importance they were brainwashed with by Maharishi,
all chanting, "Come to the domes. Join us."

Yeah, right. That's gonna happen. John Q. Public is going
to look at these nutjobs and think, "Wow...I want to be just
like them. Honey, sell the cars...we're going to need the money
to pay for our TM-Sidhis courses, so we can go join in the
Cosmic Buttbouncing with these other paragons of
enlightenment."

"Twenty minutes twice a day." "No change to your lifestyle
or your beliefs required." "You practice TM not for the time
spent in meditation but because of how it enables you to spend
your time *not* in meditation more fruitful and productive."
That's the way that TM *used* to be marketed.

Look at the parade of clowns trying to persuade people to
become Just Like Them and *give up their lives* in favor of
four or more hours a day of mass butt-bouncing. Kinda makes
you think that the original TM marketing phrases from the
60s were a lie, doesn't it?

For the clown parade, TM became a "gateway drug" to life
as a cultist, not to a better and more productive life by the
standards that most people would use to measure one. And
now they're like drug pushers on a school playground (literally)
trying to entice young, naive students to try TM. "Try it...
you'll like it. If you take advantage of the DLF special price,
the first one's free."

I think that most people are going to perceive this market-
ing approach as what it is -- a fraud, perpetrated by cultists
whose numbers are dwindling and dying off, and who are
becoming increasingly desperate to swell their ranks with
new suckers, just like them. Not gonna work. Not gonna
happen.

> > turq, I'm encouraged by these Gallup findings and I'm
> > sure a lot of long term TMers would be also. The ones
> > I know are practical, intelligent and compassionate.
> > Also I bet a lot of people would love to know about
> > and do something for world peace. Maybe whirled
> > peas too (-:
>
> My point is that the "marketing approach" of the TMO is that of
> cultists, while pitching their product to non-cultists. Many
(including
> some of this forum) seem to equate "TMers" with "TM-Sidhas practicing
in
> a group." They seem to believe that the leap from 20 minutes twice a
day
> and an average of four hours per day (including travel time) is "No
> Biggie," and that everyone that wants to learn TM wants to learn to
> butt-bounce and spend that much time away from their real life, too.
>
> I'm merely pointing out that this is an assumption made by people who
> *themselves* in most cases gravitated to the four-hours-a-day
lifestyle
> after *decades* of indoctrination by the TM movement. They've
actually
> come to believe that such a schedule is "normal."
>
> It ain't. And very few people who have...uh...lives will see it that
> way, either. They *might* be open to learning a simple,
> 20-minutes-twice-a-day relaxation technique, but if the first thing
that
> happens when they go to a TM center for their followup is that people
> start hustling them to learn the Sidhis and do them in a group,
they're
> gonna smell cult.
>

> > Just a note of caution to those who still believe that "If we
charge
> more/less/enough for TM, they will come," *they* in this case being
the
> untold millions you think are required to make the world a better
place
> and who are out there, just waiting for the right TM marketing
approach.
> Consider who you're talking to, and what *they* believe.
> >
> > The latest Gallup poll doesn't seem to indicate that John Q.
American

http://www.businessinsider.com/gallup-legal-marijuana-is-more-popular-th\
\
http://www.businessinsider.com/gallup-legal-marijuana-is-more-popular-th\
\
> an-almost-anything-else-2013-10

http://www.businessinsider.com/gallup-legal-marijuana-is-more-popular-th\
\
http://www.businessinsider.com/gallup-legal-marijuana-is-more-popular-th\
\
> an-almost-anything-else-2013-10
> >
> > Me, I find these Gallup findings positive, and hopeful, because
> they're *pragmatic*, and on the whole they seem to indicate that
> Americans aren't quite the hyper-conservative know-nothings that the
Tea