According to Swami Venkatesananda Saraswati, Patanjali included this sutra
to show that the yoga philosophy was in full agreement with both Sankhya
and Buddhism on the nature of the material world: an aggregate of
impressions expresses itself in thought.

"All is suffering for the wise man" (Y.S. 2.15).

[image: Inline image 1]
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and Swami Venkatesananda, Swarag Ashram, Ricjikesh

In Sanskrit the term 'dukkham' means suffering, a universal affliction.
This makes sense when you consider whether man is bound or is free. If
free, then there's no need for a yoga. If bound, by what means can man free
himself? Yoga is that means by which man can be free and immortal.

"Suffering that has not yet come can be avoided." (Y.S. 2.16)

Patanjali, in Yoga Sutras 2.16 and 2.17, says that subliminal intentions
bear fruit both in our current lifetime and in potential rebirths. Mental
impressions, that is, past actions, mental or physical, thus create a
ground on which future impressions of matter take hold to form subliminal
intentions. In her astute commentary on Yoga Sutras, which is based on the
commentary of Vyasa, Barbara Stoler Miller notes:

"In Patanjaii's analysis, the aggregate of impressions expresses itself in
thought (citta) and action (karma), which account for subconscious
predispositions that condition the character and behavior of an individual
throughout many reincarnations. Thought and action then become involved in
an endless round of reciprocal causality. Actions create memory traces,
which fuel the mental processes and are stored in memory that endures
through many rebirths. The store of subliminal impressions is obliterated
only when the chain of causal relations is broken."

Works Cited:

'The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali'
By Barbara Stoler-Miller, Ph.D.
p. 48