I like Curtis, but I found him to be emotionally duplicitous - that means
acting one way, while feeling another. Its a gut thing, Barry, so I cannot
explain it further. Except to say that Curtis is not unique in that regard, and
I show no prejudice, personally, towards him, as I avoid all of those who are
ignorant of their true natures, equally.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <turquoiseb@...> wrote:

 --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

> Richard,
>
> A well poisoner. Nice observation, including all the rest you wrote. In post
> 363322 perhaps there is a clue. In a response to Share authfriend wrote:
>
> "P.S.: You're quite right about my childhood, albeit not in the way you hope.
> I had a happy, stress-free childhood with two parents who loved me deeply and
> steadfastly. They passed on their own devotion to authenticity and loathing
> of phoniness to me."
>
> Whatever she feels is non authentic gets a dose of loathing, i.e., a feeling
> of intense dislike or disgust; hatred (that is the definition of the word).
> If you want to change the world, loathing is not the emotion I would want to
> operate from; it is the antithesis of acceptance, which is what spirituality
> develops (sometimes anyway). Loathing is the emotion you want to instill if
> you want to pass on intolerance. It is a blinding emotion.

 In the talk on how to detect and deal with liars I viewed as part of an
internal IBM education program, the speaker pointed out one particular facial
expression that one should *always* be wary of. He showed a photo of Dick
Cheney, wearing a snarl characterized by one side of his mouth raised higher
than the other and said, "This is *contempt*. Whenever you see it, when in a
business meeting, *don't* sign the contract, and instead just get up and leave
the room. That is what the other person really thinks of you, and it's never
going to change."

The aspect of this whole routine that always amazes me when someone trots out
the supposedly derogatory buzzphrase "phony" is that the person using this term
never seems to be able to define "what" the target of their contempt is being a
"phony" AT. The belief at the heart of hurling the epithet "phony" is that the
person they are hurling it at is *pretending* to be something that they're not.

I suggest that this is pure projection, coming in almost every case from people
whose *whole lives* are about pretending to be something they're not. Such
people really *cannot comprehend* other people who have no need to do this, so
they constantly project their own insecure need to "project an image" onto
those they dislike, incorrectly (in many cases) assuming that their
contempt-objects have such a need as well.

The classic example of this, of course, is Judy trying to deal with someone
like Curtis. In my opinion, there have been no posters on this forum more
comfortable with just being what they are than Curtis. I don't think I ever saw
him "pretend" to be anything other than what he was...the "sum state" of his
life, all that had led up to him being who and what he was, in that moment. But
to Judy, he was a "phony."

A "phony" WHAT, Judy? *What* exactly did you believe that Curtis was trying to
pretend to be? *What* exactly do you think that Share is trying to be, or that
I am trying to be when you call us "phonies?" *Why* do you think that someone
would ever have the need to try to "project an image" and convince other people
to believe it? Could it possibly be because that's what YOU do, on a pretty
much constant basis?

Which of the people you have claimed were "phonies," for instance, have ever
said something as stupid and as *obviously* untrue as "I never lie?" YOU have
said this, many times, and everyone here except you knows immediately that it's
not true, and that you're lying when you say it. Wouldn't that make YOU the
phony in this scenario?

When you pretend to "know" what people "really" mean by what they wrote, when
there is no possible way for you to "know" that, aren't YOU being the "phony?"

Save your contempt for yourself, Judy. You're the one who demonstrates the
behavior you claim to loathe the most on this forum.