Or we just see them as old friends. If we know how to relax into the natural
state, we can take notice and they self-liberate--as the yogis say 'like dew
in the sun'.

" In Œself-liberation observing the object¹ (gcer-grol), by looking directly
at the discursive, intuitive or super-subtle thought that is present at a
given moment, what the thought is in truth‹which is also what the mental
subject looking at it is in truth‹is recognized; in other words, the state
of knowledge [Tib: rigpa, Skt: vidya] fully manifests. This has been
compared to the recognition of an old friend, because what is thus
recognized is one¹s own Essence. One recognizes one¹s own original face
which precedes any form‹ something more intimate and more one¹s own than the
most intimate of friends. This recognition is not the recognition of an
object in terms of a concept or idea, but completely surpasses that type of
recognition. It¹s not that one thinks to oneself: Œthe thought or concept
now presenting itself is nothing other than the true condition or the
primordial nature of all existence¹, but that the mental subject disappears
together with the thought that it had taken as an object. Since the duality
of a subject and an object instantly disappears, together with the
importance that we normally attribute to our experience, the tensions that
normally tie up our existence are instantly cut, like the string tying a
bundle of wood. As soon as this happens, the primordial state manifests in
absolute relaxation. This mode or capacity of liberation is illustrated with
the image of Œrecognizing an old friend¹ in many Dzogchen texts, and is
indicated by the words Œnamtok no she pe drolwa¹ (rnam-rtog ngo-shes-pas
grol-ba)."