Re I stayed out of the latest tempest-in-a-pisspot discussions of the Big Bang,
and how REEEAAALLY  STOOOPID some people here think those who don't believe in
it are,:

 I think it was the other way around. Ie, me saying how credulous people are in
*believing* in the Big Bang ie,  in believing the mass of
1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars could be squashed into a point when
there are other speculations like Fred Hoyle's steady-state theory which don't
require that Bang hypothesis. As cosmology is now having to get to grips with
dark energy (about which it hasn't a clue) it's all up for grabs again. I'd
love it if the Big Bang theory got overthrown just to see the sheepish looks on
the faces of those who've solemnly told us it was gospel truth.