Generally it's fear that makes the old fogies take refuge in MDs. My experience with "quacks" were ones that had an MD license on the wall not ones with a naturopathic, chiropractic or ayurvedic license or training. There are MDs who managed to get themselves through college (often with daddy or mommy's help) to join the "family business" so they could play golf more. They are shitty at medicine.

About the only pharmaceuticals I ever use are the antibiotics the dentist may prescribe because you only need to take them for a couple days and they don't imbalance me. HOWEVER, when I had a tooth extracted they gave me some Vioxx which practically drove me nuts so I put it on my allergies list (which includes sulfa) but then I believe it has been taken off market.

In the Seattle area I had a wholistic MD whose wife was an acupuncturist. At the time the MD was thinking about taking the ayurvedic course for doctors that MAPI offered. My ayurvedic doctor here in the Bay Area was also an MD and took both the MAPI and Dr. Lad courses for doctors.

And I had considered going into medicine, my jyotish chart is very good for it (as Chakrapani pointed out). Just too much study and work to do even around age 30 which was when I considered it with encouragement from my aunt who was involved in the WHO (and probably might have taken issue with their codex ideas on supplements). Instead I've taken a number of workshops on the subject and enjoy reading lots of opinions by various practitioners.