It's not standard practice on Twitter, the most popular instant messenger program on the internet - anyone would be an idiot to waste a character by putting dots in between words when you're limited to 140 characters. It would be stupid, really stupid. If anyone did that on Twitter, they'd probably be mocked and ridiculed to no end.