> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister

> > > A wonderful teaching.  I feel that the world
> > > would definitely be a better place if religious
> > > fanatics, those who are caught up in the "My way
> > > is the best" game, undertook a similar test and
> > > proved their "best" claim by leaping from the
> > > top of the nearest mountain.
> >
> > It was kinda surprise to me how "anti-buddhist"
> > Vidyaranya is. I myself have nothing against Buddhists.
> > FCS, I'm doing anapanasati in addition to TM nowadays. :)
> > And a combination ,sort of, of TM and anapana is very
> > "powerful".  :0
>
> I understood that.  I was just commenting on the
> attitude expressed in the teaching, and in similar
> quotes you've posted lately.  I, too, am somewhat
> shocked by the vehemence with which early leaders
> of the Shankaracharya tradition tried to put down
> their Buddhist "competition."
>
> Because that's really the issue.  Buddhism was to
> the Hindu establishment very much what Catharism
> was to the established Roman Catholic Church -- a
> competitor that ate into profits.  Buddhism rejected
> most of the rites and rituals (yagyas, etc.) for
> which the priests received money.  The very *idea*
> of an approach to liberation that could be done on
> one's own, without the intervention of clergy (*paid*
> clergy) was probably viewed as a real danger, because
> it challenged the status quo and economic solvency
> of the Hindu tradition.  The religious fanatic "We
> know the truth and no one else does" stuff is almost
> secondary; the primary motivation in all of this
> seems to have been financial.
>
> What's striking me in these quotes is how far *back*
> the attitude that many of us find challenging in
> the TM movement goes.  The tendency to boast about
> one's tradition and one's teachings being "the best"
> is *clearly* expressed here.  The tendency to put
> down other traditions is also clearly present.  The
> reliance on "tests" to "prove" the superiority of
> their tradition to all others.  The reliance on
> flashy siddhis to impress those who are easily
> impressed by flashy siddhis and lure them into
> making a false connection between flashy powers
> and enlightenment or self knowledge.
>
> The more I read of this stuff, the more I'm inter-
> ested in Lama Ole's theory of "jealous gods" being
> one of the main problems in spirituality.  If there
> *are* gods, goddesses, devas, etc., why would anyone
> sane want to follow or revere a set of them who are
> so lost in their egos that they spend much of their
> teaching time putting down "competitor" gods,
> goddesses, and devas?

But as you pointed out earlier:

> > NO ONE could have been clearer
> > in life about rejecting the Hindu system than the
> > original Buddha. He also rejected to some extent
> > the notion of avatars.

So it's not exactly surprising that the Hindu system
would retaliate.

In any case, competition between "jealous gods" doesn't
seem to apply here, given that Buddhism doesn't have
any gods in the first place, and that what the Brahmana
sage was defending wasn't gods per se but rather the
Veda, so the competing elements are a bit more abstract.

Interestingly, Jesus is said to have been challenged
to perform a miraculous feat--to enlist his God to
save him from the cross--and he declined.  This is
perceived in Christianity as a victory, not a defeat.

The real problem is the need to compete.  It can take
many forms, depending on the nature of the competing
religions.