Please do call them assholes!

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 Ah, Judy - I appreciate your precision. True...though I think I can still call
them 'assholes' (biased artist). :-)

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <authfriend@...> wrote:

 OK. I don't think it was deliberate, though, just incompetent. They'd
apparently taken some care to avoid bombing heritage sites, and when Iraqi
troops holed up inside the museum and shot at them from there, they didn't
return fire for fear of damaging the artifacts (this was before the looting
started). It just seems not to have occurred to them that looting would be a
major problem.

 Which was incredibly STOOOOOOOPID but not likely malicious.

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 I should have mentioned that I was aware of that [no direct looting, that we
know of, by US forces]. However, the invaders, with the might of countless
soldiers, and weapons, did absolutely *nothing* to prevent it - even though
other strategic targets were protected for their contents. Assholes.

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <authfriend@...> wrote:

 I agree the rationale for the invasion was a lie, but I'm missing the
connection with the looting of the museum. It wasn't the U.S. invaders who
dunnit:

 http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/monument-sidebar.html
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/monument-sidebar.html

https://www.stanford.edu/group/chr/drupal/ref/the-2003-looting-of-the-iraq-national-museum

https://www.stanford.edu/group/chr/drupal/ref/the-2003-looting-of-the-iraq-national-museum

The early reporting was sensationalized and wildly exaggerated. Not that it
wasn't a catastrophe for the museum, but it wasn't as bad as at first thought.

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 "...the "cultural loss" I was referring to was the looting of the Iraqi
National Museum during the 2003 invasion..."

I recall during that time - despite all of the national rhetoric and will,
being at its peak, with everybody screaming to save Iraq from itself - when I
heard that their national museum had been looted, I knew without a doubt that
it was all a lie. Similar to our 'liberation' of Afghanistan, with its now
flourishing more than ever, opium trade.