--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,  wrote:

> 'Rectification', when applied to any situation, hypothesis,
calculation, or theory is an indication that something is wrong, that
some piece of information or knowledge is missing from the system under
consideration, because the expected result did not appear. In science
this usually means going back to the 'drawing board' and starting over
since the idea was dis-confirmed. Rectification is the attempt to fudge
the result in some way in order to maintain that the original idea is
correct, but unless very carefully done with due diligence to the entire
edifice, it typically is an act of intellectual dishonestly. Science
generally proceeds this way - the idea is wrong, doesn't work right, so
another is tried until a good stable theory is worked out. In spiritual
matters it usually means cognitive dissonance is a work in an attempt to
make the original idea come off clean, when in fact it has not.
Psychologically it is difficult to avoid this because we humans do not
like to be wrong, even though we tend to be wrong a good part of the
time.

Well said. I've never understood the near-pathological fear of admitting
they were w...w...w...wrong some people seem to have.

I mean, isn't saying that you've never been wrong another way of saying,
"I've never learned anything"?