 I like the story of the buzz at 4. My earliest recollection of getting a sense
of wonder was when my Mum bought me a Dinosaur book. On the bottom of every
page was part of a scale starting with the primordial soup at the world's
beginning, and on every page millions of years would pass, page after page and
all you see is bacteria which finally gives rise to cells and the the earliest
complex lifeforms which turn into animals with backbones. On the last two pages
you get dinosaurs then mammals and finally on the penultimate inch you get
mankind and then a city. That concept of deep time blew my 8 year old mind, and
still does.

 Too bad you didn't get a buzz.  I did many a time and it was not mood making.
Of course I got a buzz as a 4 year contemplating infinity when I asked my mom
how big was the universe. ;-)