I enjoyed reading these immensely! Thanks, Barry.
On Sat, 4/12/14, TurquoiseBee <turquoi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

 Subject: [FairfieldLife] The Clint / Charlie stories (was Re: Are the
TM-Sidhis nothing but Placebo Effect?)
 To: "FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
 Date: Saturday, April 12, 2014, 2:50 PM

 Ah, the Beverly Wilshire stories

 TurquoiseBee <turquoi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

 > > Personally, I think that Nabby is just still
 jealous
 > > that Heretic Turk got to spend one night as the
 "door
 > > guard" at Maharishi's door, and he never
 got closer
 > > to the man than the cheap seats in an auditorium.
 He
 > > shouldn't bother...it was a boring gig, except
 that it

  > provided fodder for a couple of good Clint Eastwood
 and

 Michael Jackson <mjackso...@yahoo.com> wrote:

 > Oh please tell, tell 'em - I ain't never heard
 those stories!

 That's right...you're still a bit of a newb
 here at FFL. "Regulars" are groaning into their
 hot chocolate right now, going, "Oh no...not
 again." Unkind Net-elitists are going,
 "Couldn't you just Google this, or try to see if
 the Yahoo Groups search engine was working properly yet, and
 find one of the previous tellings of these tales?"

 Me, I'm going, "Hmmmmm. That sounds like fun. I
 mean, here I am in a comfortable cafe on a comfortable day,
 sitting here waiting for "writing inspiration,"
 and Michael asks me to retell two of my favorite TM-era
 stories. Is this an omen, or what?"
  :-)

 THE BACKGROUND

 It was at the time of one of the Merv Griffin TV shows
 featuring Maharishi. At the time I was working at the
 Western Regional Office at 1015 Gayley, also home of the TM
 National center at the time, a workspace occupied by its
 then leader, Jerry Jarvis. Jerry had been my TM teacher, and
 we worked together a lot, and I guess he'd heard OK
 things about me 'round town, because he kept asking me
 to do a few "prime time" intro lectures and
 appearances for him, like the one for NBC News. Anyway,
 whether he'd heard good things about me or the opposite,
 I'd gotten picked to be "on staff" during
 Maharishi's visit. This involved meeting a few people at
 the airport and being "door guard" at
 Maharishi's door at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel while he
 was staying there, the night before the taping.

 If this sounds like a "good deal?" it wasn't.
 The airport thing was fun, but try to imagine standing in
 front of a hotel room door and
  having as your job description keeping out all the hordes
 who showed up wanting to see Maharishi. As my gig had been
 explained to me, I was supposed to stand there and ask
 everyone who came to the door what their name was, put those
 names on a list, and give it to the person inside the door,
 whose job description was to take the list directly to
 Maharishi. MMY then decided who was to be allowed to enter,
 and who wasn't. The other person would then come to the
 door and tell me who to let in and who to tell to have a
 seat on the corridor floor and wait. Suffice it to say that
 Maharishi didn't necessarily want to see all of the
 people waiting, and that at times the corridor was full of a
 couple of dozen squatting devotees.

 THE CLINT STORY

 So I'm standing there, doin' my thing, getting
 bad-vibed by all of the people squatting there in the hall,
 and up walks Clint Fucking Eastwood. I'd met him briefly
 at the airport, but here he was right in
  front of me, wanting to go into Maharishi's room, where
 his friend and the host of the TV show Merv Griffin already
 were. Well, I didn't have to "take his name"
 because he was one of the entries on a "short
 list" I'd been given about who to let in
 immediately. So I just said, "Hi Clint."

 But then Clint noticed the pile of shoes by the door.

 He looked at me, standing there in my stocking feet, and at
 the pile of shoes, and then back to me. He was not smiling.
 I don't think I can adequately convey what it's like
 to be "not smiled at" by Clint Fucking Eastwood,
 so I shall not even try.

 He said, "Are we supposed to take our shoes off?"

 I said, "Well, it's traditional, Clint."

 He gave me another Dirty Harry look, like, "Do you KNOW
 who you're asking to take off his boots?" This was,
 after all, the #1 Box Office Star in the world at that point
 in time. But then he smiled and shrugged and pulled off his
 cowboy boots.
  That's when I figured out what his hesitation had been
 about.

 The #1 Box Office Star In The World had holes in his socks.
 I clearly remember that one big toe was sticking out, and
 the two little piggies on each foot were definitely trying
 to make a break for it and head to the nearest market.

 He looked down at his
 not-quite-appropriately-clad-for-meeting-a-spiritual-teacher
 feet, grinned amiably, and walked in.

 I really LOVE this Clint Eastwood moment. Probably better
 than any of the moments in his movies.

 THE CHARLIE LUTES STORY

 Still standing in the hall. Merv and Clint are inside with
 Maharishi, people are still coming up to me asking to see
 Maharishi and I am still trying to be polite and write down
 their names and their stories on the pieces of paper I pass
 through the door. A couple of dozen people are still
 squatting on the floor, bad-vibing me Big Time because I
 haven't called their name yet.

 And up
  walks Charlie Lutes.

 I tell him the procedure, write his name on a piece of
 paper, and ask him to wait while I go inside and give this
 information to Maharishi. I do just that, stepping inside
 and giving the piece of paper to the paper guy, who
 immediately walks it up to Maharishi, where someone reads it
 to him. Maharishi turns to paper guy and obviously tells him
 something, because he comes back to me and says,
 "Maharishi says to tell Charlie to wait."

 I exit from the room and do just that. Suffice it to say
 that Charlie's glare is right up there with Clint's.
 But he backed away and stood in the hall with all the other
 devotees. And stood there. And stood there, and stood there,
 and stood there. For all of 15 minutes, as I remember. His
 face was getting redder with every minute, and finally he
 just stalked off, saying loudly and angrily, "I
 wouldn't wait an hour to see GOD!" It had been
 fifteen minutes.

 So that's the end of the
  story. Or so I thought.

 As it turns out, Charlie managed to get face time with
 Maharishi at the airport as he was leaving, and asked why he
 hadn't been admitted the night before. Maharishi looked
 him straight in the face (this part I have from Jerry, who
 was standing right there), and said, "No one ever told
 me you were there."

 Maharishi left, but Charlie couldn't let it lie. He
 started going around saying that Jerry's "SIMS
 guys" had prevented him from seeing Maharishi. I heard
 that he had even found out my name and had gone to people at
 TM National trying to get me fired. It didn't work.

 So those are the two stories. Thanks for asking, because
 it's given me something interesting to type for a few
 minutes. Time for another beer...