Different meditation practices create different situations in the brain.

 Most meditation practices other than TM create a situation where the
connection between the self-centers and the rest of teh brain becomes less,
rather than more, during meditation practice.

 http://www.amaye.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/med-connectivity-EEG-tomog.pdf
http://www.amaye.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/med-connectivity-EEG-tomog.pdf

 In fact, the authors specifically suggest that this may be why many spiritual
traditions talk in terms of destroying or reducing self:

 In experienced meditators (13 Tibetan Buddhists, 15 QiGong, 14 Sahaja Yoga, 14
Ananda Marga Yoga, 15 Zen), 19-channel EEG was recorded before, during and
after that meditation exercise which their respective tradition regards as
route to the most desirable meditative state

 Conventional coherence between the original head surface EEG time series very
predominantly also showed reduced coherence during meditation.
 The globally reduced functional interdependence between brain regions in
meditation suggests that interaction between the self process functions is
minimized, and that constraints on the self process by other processes are
minimized, thereby leading to the subjective experience of non-involvement,
detachment and letting go, as well as of all-oneness and dissolution of ego
borders during meditation.

 On the other hand, Fred Travis and Alaric Arenander have both talked to the
above researchers, and they are now doing several studies specifically on TM.
The first of them is to redo the above study but using experienced TMers
instead of people experienced in other meditation practices. That should be
published later this year, I think.

 Since TM researchers are excited about the study, I think it is safe to assume
that TM has a different physical effect that the effect documented in the first
study using non-TM.

 By the way, in case you haven't watched it, this video by Alaric Arenander
(part of his promotion of his new EEG and TM course) gives a very good feel for
what might be an explanation for GC and UC in terms of EEG:

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd_b-LS6SzQ&list=UU0iwNoV7Sptxi1qqWz_R9IA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd_b-LS6SzQ&list=UU0iwNoV7Sptxi1qqWz_R9IA

 In the first parts of teh video,

 first, you see alpha-1 EEG coherence during TM practice between 2 leads in the
front, representative of increased EEG coherence in the self-centers.

 Later, you see EEG coherence bouncing up and down between two leads in the
back, what Alaric calls "the world" [represented in the brain].

 Then, you see EEG coherence bouncing up and down between two leads: front
&back: left   front & back: right, indicating that the integration between the
front of the brain and back of the brain ("self" and "world" as Alaric puts it)
is becoming more integrated.

 I'll go out on a limb and suggest that his is a signature of growing GC, when
it appears outside of meditation: you are starting to perceive more and more
subtle aspects of the world, simply because there is a quiet background upon
which the world is "projected."

 In the last 5-6 minutes of the video, you see the before/after EEG coherence
of someone who has been on the Invincible America course, doing TM and the
TM-SIdhis 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 2 years or so.

 It is only the coherence in the frontal lobes that is shown, but unless Alaric
tells me differently, I assume it applies to the other leads as well: not only
is alpha-1 EEG *extremely* coherent during TM, but beta and gama are showing
much higher EEG coherence than in the before picture.

 If this pattern holds for the other leads,  you could say that all electrical
activity in the brain is harmonic fluctuations of alpha-1 EEG, so that in a
physical way, perception of reality IS "fluctuations of pure consciousness" and
it is conceivable that Unity Consciousness is simply where this situation
becomes so pronounced that the meditator becomes aware of it without having to
look at an EEG trace: it is there own default way of looking at the world.

 turq, I agree with you about the use of hierarchy. But what about using the
concept of fuller stages of development wrt humans? This might even be
measurable scientifically. What others have called Self just might be a label
for the situation in which most of the brain functioning in an optimally
healthy way.