"When practicing mindfulness, for instance by watching the breath, one must remember to maintain attention on the chosen object of awareness, "faithfully returning back to refocus on that object whenever the mind wanders away from it. Thus, mindfulness means not only, "moment to moment awareness of present events," but also, "remembering to be aware of something or to do something at a designated time in the future".

In fact, /the primary connotation of this Sanskrit term [smrti] (and its corresponding Pali term sati) is recollection."/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness