On 6/6/2014 7:19 AM, authfri...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:

I don't believe this has "been established," Richard. I don't recall ever hearing Maharishi (on tape) or TM teachers say the bija mantras have "no semantic meaning," only that they were "meaningless sounds." TM critics have objected to "meaningless sounds," saying that because Hindus associate the bijas with deities, therefore they cannot be said to be "meaningless." But when most people ask what the mantras mean, they're thinking of semantic meaning, like words in a dictionary that can be used in a sentence. And the answer to that question is, no, they're meaningless sounds. So "no semantic meaning" is more precise, but it isn't the phrase TM uses.

Good points, but I think I have already established that MMY never said /the TM mantras were meaningless sounds/. I may be mistaken, but I've read all his books and listened to several tape recordings and videos and nobody has posted any evidence that he said the mantras were meaningless. Certainly he would not say this to Hindus in India. So, I can't feature MMY saying that the mantras are meaningless sounds, seeing as how he wrote about them in Beacon Light. Meaningless would seem to imply that they are of no value. Go figure.

So, I like to call the mantras used in TM "abstract mnemonic devices" /that have no semantic meaning/, since they are not words in a Sanskrit lexicon. In fact, that's probably why they work so well - they are abstract for most people so they don't tend to keep one on the conscious thinking level. The bija and the words are like the proverbial string tied around your finger - a device for recalling a previous state of consciousness, /before your mother was even born./ That you are - tat vam asi. /The bija is like a reminder/, whose effects are known, over countless centuries of experiment and practice by meditation masters.

    It has already been established that MMY never said the the bijas
    are "meaningless sounds." That's just one of those internet
    newsgroup rumors. What we are saying is that the bijas have /no
    semantic meaning/, that's why they are called"mantras". All words
    found in the dictionary have meanings, but bijas are esoteric seed
    sounds, whose effects are known.