Re "Wake up foggy headed?  Clear your head with with the kapha mantra hoom
though if you really want to clear it try the Ganesh mantra: om gam ganapataye
namaha.  Upset stomach?  Use the pitta mantra. Constipation? Try the vata
mantra.":

 We were always taught that during TM we should allow the mantra to change its
"sound" and not interfere. Sometimes it can even be just a pulse; sometimes
even just a modulation of other thoughts that flit through the mind; sometimes
just the ghost of a sound . . .
 I'm sure if someone told me to repeat "om gam ganapataye namaha" I could
manage it but it would keep my consciousness at a surface level and block any
move towards transcending. Do you find picking up other mantras and using them
as your "focus" is straightforward and unproblematic?