Thanks for that. Bad etymological resources on my end, obviously.

 Even so, the connection between desert people who lived in the area where the
people of Israel came from, and, well, the people of Israel shouldn't be that
big a surprise.

 I tell people that many palestinians are probably more Jewish genetically than
the Europeans who resettled the area. Some jews get very huffy and some just
laugh and say "duh."