 Yes quite evidently you and the other anti-meditation anti-science folks here
are afraid of where the data is going. Your asserting no data therefore no
replication and therefore it can't be talked about or researched.

 You need psychiatric help.

  Asserting that it does not exist defies reality and scientific process itself
of data, observation, hypothesis and testing . Lawson is looking at how to
replicate given the practical constraints of such a project given the data. You
completely miss-interpret to your own vile ends. You evidently don't want
anything to happen less it disturb your anti-meditation and anti-spiritual
grumblings. You contend the research can't be replicated and shouldn't be, well
talk about subterfuge and anti-science anti-intellectualism. Next we'll hear
from you that there never was such a thing as darshan where obviously there is
and then you'll say it is not worth trying to look at for fear of what we might
find. Did you just renew your membership down at the local conservative
Anglican Church or something that you come on so regressive like you do?

 Is this your enlightenment Buck? A refusal to read what people say and then
project some weird victim fantasy onto anyone who doesn't automatically accept
the great master Hagelin at his word? Read it again and respond to what I say,
not your paranoid fantasies.

  -Buck in the Dome

 Thanks LEnglish5 very much for this more even-handed review of what is
current.  It is refreshing in the face of all the anti-science and allergy that
so many have to TM and spirituality here on this board.  -Buck

 What are you talking about Buck? Lawson used to be the hard core defender of
ME research, it's only very recently he's come round to the viewpoint I've held
all along, that ME research doesn't show what is claimed for it. So why are you
calling me "anti-science"?

 Criticism is science, that's how it works. Someone has an idea, they collect
evidence and publish it. The ME research doesn't show anything beyond
statistical manipulation, it sure as hell didn't show a huge decrease in crime.
So the ball is back in the court of the people who claim its efficacy to prove
it was a real effect.

 Your problem is that you get all sensitive when someone criticises a pet
theory of yours when it's all part of the scientific process. If the ME stands
up someone will find a way of demonstrating it. It might help if they had an
explanation for how it might work in the first place. Instead all they have is
a bunch of wishy-washy new age terms explained in the context of other
wishy-washy new age terms. So why should anyone take it seriously and go to the
expense of testing it when, as Lawson points out, there appears to be no
evidence to try and replicate?

 LEnglish5 writes:
 It may have been demonstrated to the satisfaction of true believers, but not
to the satisfaction of skeptics.

 The problem with the ME research is that it is essentially not replicatable on
a large-scale. No two cities or groups of cities are really alike, and even
using the same city over and over again for a study has many issues.

 Fred Travis' thesis research on interpersonal EEG coherence (the ME between
two people) would be a better route to go, but he was forced to use averages of
EEG statistics over a period of many seconds, and it turns out that there is a
ceiling effect on that specific measure which makes it unlikely to find the
effect consistently.

 So... what to do?

 As I pointed out before, there's a more sophisticated way of analyzing global
EEG called "EEG microstates," where the average electrical activation of the
brain can be examined in tiny slices of time, down to as low as 2-10
milliseconds per slice. That is easily 400x the resolution that Fred used in
his original study.

 The people in charge of the TM organization are well aware of how the ME
research is viewed by most non-believers, but there's been no way to satisfy
genuine concerns like independent replication until now. The DC experiment not
only cost the TM organization several million to conduct, but it required
coordinating the lives of 4,000 Sidhas. This is NOT something that can ever be
replicated on a regular basis, no matter what kind of resources you have and
you can't expect the average skeptical scientist to arrange to do such
research, either.

 When the upcoming EEG microstate research on TM is published, if it turns out
that there is a definite pattern associated with pure consciousness, it may be
possible to redo Fred Travis' original research with as many as 400x the number
of data points in a given TM session. I don't know offhand, how much more
sensitive this would make a specific study, but I'm pretty sure it is a LOT
more sensitive...

 ...tried just now to plug various values into online statistical calculators,
and it looks like having 400x as many data points roughly makes a given simple
experiment 400x as sensitive (sorta -there might be a square-root in there, but
it looks like it is a lot more than 20x as sensitive so not sure)...

 John Hagelin obviously realizes the points above. He was giving the standard
party line to me earlier this year about how the research into the ME is
reliable, etc., but when I started to point out that there would be potentially
400x as many data points as was available in Fred Travis' experiments and that
this meant fully independent skeptics could conduct their own very cheap
experiments, he kinda got excited and interrupted me about halfway through my
spiel, saying he would talk to Fred Travis about it.

 Lawson

 Maharishi's technologies for creating peace was demonstrated again and again
in the 70'ies and 80'ies. No need for any more demonstrations. It is well
documented and it's now up to responsible leaders in the world to implement
these technologies at a fraction of the costs of waging wars.

 I agree. I am a little surprised that the TMO hasn't done this, as a
continuation of Maharishi's initiatives. Of course, there are enough hot spots
that it could be an issue to fund all of them. Maharishi always wanted
countries to recognize the value of his programs on their own, but it is
something very tough to do, while fighting a war. Jordan may be safe enough,
and close enough, and friendly enough, for a group of Sidhas, though I can't
think of anyplace else. I seem to recall this was done, at least once before in
possibly Lebanon?

 You are exaggerating as usual. There is no point in putting people in harm's
way, which would be grossly irresponsible. That was never the idea. The
Maharishi effect doesn't mean that all violence ceases immediately or that you
could meditate as a group in the middle of a battlefield and come out
unscathed.

 Oh no! Let 'em put up or shut up! Let 'em go to where the rockets are flying
and do so at their own expense. If it really works the way they claim, they
will be in no danger.