On 8/27/2014 3:26 PM, danfriedman2002 wrote:

On 8/27/2014 9:53 AM, danfriedman2002 wrote:

> The growers can only sell "Organic Produce", so they print a
lot of

> organic in dside stickers. I travel in Latin America and find
it laughable,

    > if you saw the growing conditions.
    >I feel you with the grains. Used to be their main thing, now it's
    relegated to a corner in  the basement.

    Love that Tamari. 60's!

We started out using Kikkoman and then moved up to San-J Tamari but now we switched over to the organic San-J Shoyu.

    I just returned fromBuca Brick Oven Pizza. Talk about Iatalian.
    Waitress is Sardinian, serves me a couple of glasses of Trebbiano
    and a bottle of Morelli (I passed on the water). Got thru the
    Pizza Parmegiana (eggplant melts in your mouth) and on to the
    Tiramisu.

    When I'm passed all that, she takes me around the corner to Arco
    Cafe, a new Sardinian restaurant on Amsterdam. Taste some stuff.
    Move on. Need tosave room for dinner.

We are not overly concerned about the organic certification because we don't eat food that would be typically contaminated with fumigants, such as strawberries, grapes and peaches or prepared juices, because we eat mostly locally grown produce such as lettuce, squash, carrots, and broccoli, that are certified organic in the USA by the Organic Trade Association (OTA). What we go for mostly at Whole Foods are the bulk whole grains, organic chicken, and a few imported condiments such as Shoyu or Tamari. We have found that the organic whole grain brown rice grown in Deaf Smith County suits our needs. But, we are not real big on carbohydrates anymore anyway - we mostly eat salads and vegetable soup and protein drinks we make in a blender. We are pretty big on filtered water. Go figure.

However, we do partake of some genuine Tex-Mex dishes at our favorite restaurant, but always in moderation.

http://theorganicpages.com/topo/companylisting.html?CompanyId=7351

/Dinning with family and friends at Rosario's, San Antonio/

    ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
    <mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>, <punditster@...>
    <mailto:punditster@...> wrote :

    On 8/27/2014 8:19 AM, danfriedman2002 wrote:

        Rich,

        You are wealthy because you don't eat too much. Also, since
        you turned me on to a new TM=related book (Have you read
        Reflections on the Teachings of Maharishi: A personal
        Journey by John Hornburg? [sorry, the Italics button is
        stuck]), I'll explain myself further.

        This being NYC, there is a Farmer's Market just around the
        corner from Whole Foods. The word from there is that the
        Hole Foods produce sucks (technical term used by farmers who
        know their shit/manure).
        >Our local Hole Foods get's its 'organic produce' from
        Mexico, Chile et al. Then they claim it is "Organic" because
        it has been "Crtified Organic" in the growing country. The
        growers can only sell "Organic Produce", so they print a lot
        of organic in dside stickers. I travel in Latin America and
        find it laughable, if you saw the growing conditions.

        Then...The Hole Foods Market becomes a magnet for the Nannys,
        most of whom miss their country so come to congregate. They
        are given a week's shopping list from their pretentious
        employer, and have no idea what these food items are. They
        weave down the isles, strollers plus wagons in tow. Because
        they would be found out otherwise, they are more likely to
        drop the child than the especial food item they are
        retrieving for the list.

        Entertaining though.
        Our local Whole Foods Market gets it's organic produce from
        the farmers market just around the corner or from a farm
        nearby. The best produce and most satisfying is the produce
        you grow in your own back yard. What most people don't
        realize when they purchase food is the /stress and heat
        factor/. All processed food is stressed to a certain extent
        and/or heated. This includes the process and the packaging
        itself and the transportation from the farm. Produce
        sometimes comes from as far away as Mexico and California.

        They show you the difference. Organic apples are not
        unblemished, organic peaches are not unblemished,
        organic,,,get it?

        The ideal would be to procure all or most of your food
        without using a harvesting device. Since this is close to
        impossible for most urban dwellers we have to be more
        flexible and make choices. Locally picked fruit and
        vegetables harvested by hand in your local area would be the
        best choice and imported and processed foods last. The best
        and most satisfying food we ever obtained were apples picked
        directly from the ground which had fallen the same day from
        fruit trees grown, but even then we had to drive to the
        orchard in a wheeled vehicle.

        Thanks for the book recommendation. I may need to pull away
        from this exciting time on ffl when the postman delivers.

        ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>, <punditster@...>
        <mailto:punditster@...> wrote :

        On 8/26/2014 6:50 PM, danfriedman2002 wrote:

            But Rich, Whole Paycheck will kill ya. Better off with
            Health Nuts (if the name fits, I wear it) or farmstands.

            But...Whole Paycheck is easy to shoplift.

            We are not big eaters anymore, so it only costs us a few
            dollars to buy some vegetables and some grains at the
            Whole Foods Market. It's not like we have a big family
            to feed anymore. Sometimes we eat out and that cost
            more. There is a farmer's market a few blocks away from
            where we live. We went to this place to eat some raw food:

            ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>,
            <punditster@...> <mailto:punditster@...> wrote :

            Maintaining a healthy diet is one of the most neglected
            aspects of modern medicine. Just to be on the safe
            side, we try to eat only organic foods and try to avoid
            all packaged food. It just makes common sense. Today we
            went to this place to get some bulk grains and organic
            vegetables:

            /Whole Foods, San Antonio/

                On 8/26/2014 6:29 AM, anartaxius@...
                <mailto:anartaxius@...> [FairfieldLife] wrote:

            The term allopathic, which is often used in a
            derogatory sense, was invented by Hahnemann, the
            creator of homoeopathy. So it is basically a quacks
            take on regular medicine, although at the time the
            term came into use, regular medicine was still pretty
            primitive, and probably not very effective. Today the
            term 'evidence-based medicine' is used, or
            'science-based medicine'. Here is an interesting site
            that deals with various conflicts found between
            alternative therapies (which I usually call the
            alternative to medicine) and modern medical practice.
            Science-Based Medicine
            <http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org>

            <http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org>

            Science-Based Medicine
            <http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org>
            Science-Based Medicine: Exploring issues and
            controversies in the relationship between science and
            medicine

            View on www.sciencebasedm...
            <http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org>

            Preview by Yahoo

            ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>,
            <turquoiseb@...> <mailto:turquoiseb@...> wrote :

            I've been staying out of the Alternative Therapies
            free-for-all for a number of reasons. First, it's been
            done to death here before, so the whole faux outrage
            thing has a decidedly been there, done that, don't
            need to do it again vibe to it. Second, possibly
            because I bailed from the TMO early, I never got
            infected with that uber-hypochondria that so many
            long-term TMers exhibit. I never got into fad diets or
            mega-supplements or any of that stuff, and have
            managed to remain remarkably healthy *anyway*, never
            having to "go there" and put any attention on my
            health. I've been lucky enough to be healthy and stay
            healthy...what was there to focus on or obsess on?

            Third, I currently write articles for all sorts of
            people in the health care industry. A few of them
            probably work for Big Pharma, but most are just
            everyday practitioners of allopathic medicine or
            chiropractic or some alternative practice or some
            mainstream specialty like cardiovascular medicine. And
            to a person I don't think any of them would disagree
            with the comments one of them put on the T-shirt below
            (some MDs might get a bit of a hitch in their panties
            over the mention of chiropractic, but that's about it).

            Most of them would LOVE it if their patients would
            just pay more attention to their diets and to getting
            enough exercise. But they don't. They want a "quick
            cure." And they want it whether it comes from a Big
            Pharma pill or a homeopathic sugar pill or a Chinese
            tonic or an Ayurvedic potion. Health care providers --
            whoever they are -- get pushed into the savior role
            because people go to them demanding the "quick cure"
            and shouting "Cure me, cure me!" They're not willing
            to do the work every day that keeps them healthy in
            the first place, so they expect someone else to do it
            for them.

        • Re... lengli...@cox.net [FairfieldLife]
        • Re... danfriedman2002
      • Re: [F... danfriedman2002