From: "Xenophaneros Anartaxius anartax...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]"

I think many group behaviours are not necessarily narcissistic, although they
may parallel or imitate the behaviour of a leader. In the classic study When
Prophesy Fails by Festinger et al., observed that when a group's expectations
are not met they tend to circle the wagons and their beliefs if anything seem
to become even stronger, so perhaps it is some kind of defensive mechanism for
survival of the ego rather than the psychological narcissism which is 'extreme
selfishness, with a grandiose view of one's own talents and a craving for
admiration, as characterizing a personality type'. Perhaps fear of being
exposed. A real narcissist really would not care about being exposed because
the idea would just not occur to him/her/it.

Your insight about "real narcissists not caring about being exposed" might be
true IF we were talking about the cult/group leader. If we're talking about
his/her disciples/students, however, they're often working within a mindstate
of "trickle-down narcissism," which they have inherited from the teacher.

The teacher would have told them just enough to make them feel that *they* were
*special*, and truly among the elite of the planet because they had been cool
enough to appreciate him or her. But that doesn't allow them to actually
*believe* it enough to not worry about being exposed. Only the true narcissist
is on that level of delusion. The students of narcissistic teachers have in
most cases been entertaining doubts about the narcissistic leader and the
wisdom of following him/her for decades, but just unwilling to admit to having
had these doubts. So their first reaction when an external criticism *points
out* these very doubts is to "circle the wagons" and become even *more* of a
True Believer, at least on the surface.