chose to live their lives differently than he does.

 From: "Michael Jackson mjackson74@... [FairfieldLife]"
<FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
 Benjy, Marshy - two hucksters and Nappy, one brain addled sycophant.

Barry, can I just rely on Michael's synopsis to capture the essence of your
remarks?
While I cannot disagree, I think it is useful every so often to remember that
at one point WE were sycophants, too. So what was "in it" for the sycophant?

I think that the thing that is "in it" for the sycophant is self importance. If
the teacher in question is telling them that they are the most important people
on the planet, and so important that every thud of their butt on the foam sends
forth Wondrous Waves Of Woo Woo to transform the universe into a better place,
some people are actually going to buy that. For a while. It's just that *still*
believing it all these decades later strikes me as a bit much to ask.  :-)

Personally, I think that one of the most useful pieces of neuroscience would be
a study that managed to visualize in the brain the exact moment in which
someone decides "This guy is enlightened and telling me the truth and therefore
everything he ever says from now on will be truth." If we knew what that looked
like on the level of brain chemistry, we might someday be able to prevent it.
:-)