On 09/28/2014 10:26 AM, salyavin808 wrote:

I'm not sure anyone here would want to be sane. Sane as defined by the psychological community these days is the "norm." IOW, if you behave like that average bumpkin then you are sane. Do you want to be an "average bumpkin"?

Well if you put it like that, I guess not ;-)

Most of us can recall the days when the psychological community jumped on the Maslow bandwagon and defined "sane" as a person who is self-actualized. IOW, one who is enlightened. Then there was a pouring out of magazine and newspaper articles about how everyone was crazy because very few by that definition could attain enlightenment. I'm guessing that made the psychological community redefine "sane".

I'm not sure what the definition of sane would be. Over here Insanity is a legal term that means "responsible for one's actions" basically if you knew what you were doing at the time you did whatever you did you get to go to jail instead of a secure hospital.

Yes, I buy that "being functional" could be definition of sanity. But there are plenty of biological androids among us who are functional but living still living in a dreamworld. I call them "mecha-humans" because they strive to be more machine like. Actually a robotics expert commented on this back in the late 1990s.

But that leaves a vast majority as sane. I think psychologists describe you as psychologically healthy if you are productive, can realise goals, make long term plans and form healthy relationships (no jealousy or violence etc) None of which helps me and Wonko....It's all relative.

Sane but ignorant (or just plain lazy minded).

The problem on FFL is that you have two kinds of crazies: extremist TB'ers and extremist skeptics who seem to throw the baby out with the bath water.