 Barry,

 Have you ever thought that atheism is also a belief-- and an unreasonable one
at that?

M: Couldn't help overhearing...
Atheism is not a belief because it is not a positive assertion that there is no
God. It is the assertion that there is no compelling evidence to support the
belief. We don't need to have a belief that there are no unicorns. Maybe there
are. We just don't have any evidence to support our belief in one. (Probably
people made the story up, they tend to enjoy that being such creative
creatures.)

Jr:  The Kalam Cosmological Argument should dispel any of your doubts.

M: It does not for two reasons that come to mind. Here is a formulation (feel
free to substitute your own if this is not the right one in your eyes..)
 Everything that begins to exist has a cause; Unwarranted assumption. We don't
know if this is true at the scales of time and space involved in creation. It
is a typical imposition of our limited view of the sensory world to scales that
are completely unplugged from our ability to intuit about it. It is unnecessary
and merely contrived as if to say : There must be a God so there must be a God.
Logic is not a proof. It can preserve truth through proper syllogistic form,
but it is only as good as the assumptions which must be proven another way.
This is not a good start.

 2. The universe began to exist

 M: There are a lot a problems with this assumptions since it imposes
sequential time assumptions on an event which by nature is beyond time and
space. This is the realm of "you probably don't really understand it" physics.
(Me either, the subject requires math waaaaay beyond my pay grade.)

 therefore:

 3The universe has a cause.

 Yeah, surprise surprise. This is no proof, it is an an assumption disguised as
something logical as if that makes it less assumptive-y. It doesn't.

 I like the last image joke best.

    • [Fairfield... steve.sun...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • [Fairfield... jr_...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
      • Re: [F... Mike Dixon mdixon.6...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]