---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <curtisdeltablues@...> wrote :

 Curtis,

 My responses are shown in red below:

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <curtisdeltablues@...> wrote :

 Barry,

 Have you ever thought that atheism is also a belief-- and an unreasonable one
at that?

M: Couldn't help overhearing...
Atheism is not a belief because it is not a positive assertion that there is no
God. It is the assertion that there is no compelling evidence to support the
belief. We don't need to have a belief that there are no unicorns. Maybe there
are. We just don't have any evidence to support our belief in one. (Probably
people made the story up, they tend to enjoy that being such creative
creatures.)

 Atheism is defined as a belief in "no god", according to Webster's College
Dictionary.   By the suffix of the word "ism", the word is self-defined as a
belief, according to the rules of the English language.

 It appears that the self-proclaimed atheists should understand what the
meaning of the word "Atheism" means before saying that they are not "believers".

M: You had to overlook the first definition to make your point"

a disbelief in the existence of deity

Which is as I said, not the same as having a belief. It is the absence of the
belief in God. Not believing in something is not a positive belief. Most
atheists would say they don't know if there is a God, only that there is no
evidence for one if they are being careful with their words.

I do not have a belief in God. There is no belief that takes its place. I think
it is unlikely that there is a God or that if here was one that man could know
about him. But that is not a firm belief in no God, it is the lack of a belief
in God. Do you see the difference?

 I am not sure why some here are so careful to avoid being called "believers".
They act as if this is just about the worst thing someone can say about them.
Is this because to be 'a believer' it implies one has closed ones mind to other
options? Does it imply that one is a slave to their beliefs in some way and
therefore rendered impotent in some way? Does being a believer mean one is a
dupe or in danger of being duped? What is it exactly that is so odious about
believing something because you sure are doing a lot of wiggling to avoid
having your atheistic assertions not categorized as beliefs. And I reiterate
again (from a previous post) I haven't yet come to any hard and fast conclusion
of what I believe when it comes to God or no God or many Gods so it is not the
viewpoint I am interested in but the way in which one comes to investigate or
the embrace or reject that viewpoint.

    • [Fairfield... steve.sun...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • [Fairfield... jr_...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
      • Re: [F... Mike Dixon mdixon.6...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]