 Otherwise known as the "Where yer people hailed from" test. My brother is into
genealogy, and figuring out our lineage. It never interested me all that much,
even when his detective work indicated that our father's unknown original
parents (he was an orphan, left on a doorstep in Philadelphia during the big
flu epidemic in the 1920s) were probably from the Ukraine, and Jewish.

More interesting to me was his latest endeavor, in which he submitted DNA
samples to a company and got a "readout" on where his DNA (and presumably mine
as well, since our Mom was SO not a person given to fool around) *came from* on
the planet. The company says that it matches the samples against many thousands
of similar samples tied primarily to geographical locations around the world,
and then they ship you a report on what they found.

I have no idea if it's legit. I just looked as his (and presumably my) results,
and they sounded "right" to me:

99% European
(broken down)
54% English
28% Irish
12% Eastern Europe
05% Western Europe

Cheap entertainment...what can I say? Just posted in case anyone here gets all
Woo Woo behind the idea of figuring out where *their* DNA comes from. The site
is dna.ancestry.com. Not responsible.

I'd love to do this, it's sure to be really interesting. but then I know that
I'm mostly English with a large bit of Scottish and a bit of Romanian gipsy
from my Gran who hailed from those parts (don't tell Nigel Farage). What else
lurks in there? How much Neanderthal or even African farmer?

 Fascinating stuff DNA as it cannot lie, if you want to know how close you are
to anything from Zebra's to mushrooms it will tell you. And all living things
are related to one original cell, I never get over thinking about that, what a
discovery, what a thing to know about yourself!

 Does this mean there was a "beginning"? It's starting to sound a little like
it.

    • [Fairfield... j_alexander_stan...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
          • ... ultrarishi
    • [Fairfield... salyavin808