Re "The last line is quite literally magic.":

 *Exactly* what I thought when I copied it in!

 Off-topic, but re our exchange about 2001:a Space Odyssey: on a radio show
today devoted to film-soundtrack music the movie came up for discussion and the
presenter mentioned that whereas silence is rare in film (as the sounds of
popcorn-munching audiences detract from the illusion) in 2001 Kubrick dared to
allow long periods of quiet - which also contributes to that hypnotic element I
mentioned. Here's a quote from the web on that subject:

 "The first spoken word is almost a half hour into the film, and there's less
than 40 minutes of dialogue in the entire film (duration 161 minutes). Much of
the film is in dead silence (accurately depicting the absence of sound in
space), or with the sound of human breathing within a spacesuit."

 Thanks for finding this. Lovely passage, perfectly written. The last line is
quite literally magic.