On 11/7/2014 7:49 PM, jr_...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:

Huxley didn't appear to know about the advantages of meditation. Obviously, during his lifetime, TM was not around then.

/From what I've read, Aldous Huxley was very active at the Vedanta Temple of Southern California - he lectured there and contributed articles to the journal Vedanta and the West. He was initiated by Swami Prabhavananda. along with Gerald Heard and Christopher Isherwood./

Aldous Huxley quote (1931):

"So far as I can see, the only possible new pleasure would be one derived from the invention of a new drug — of a more efficient and less harmful substitute for alcohol and cocaine. If I were a millionaire, I should endow a band of research workers to look for the ideal intoxicant. If we could sniff or swallow something that would, for five or six hours each day, abolish our solitude as individuals, atone us with our fellows in a glowing exaltation of affection and make life in all its aspects seem not only worth living, but divinely beautiful and significant, and if this heavenly, world-transfiguring drug were of such a kind that we could wake up next morning with a clear head and an undamaged constitution — then, it seems to me, all our problems (and not merely the one small problem of discovering a novel pleasure) would be wholly solved and earth would become paradise."

Sounds great - but I suspect that humans are so constituted that changing our brains with chemicals is always going to have unwanted side-effects.

I used to buy Ritalin over the counter, in Macau, and did a fair amount - Yuck. Couldn't get weed, but any big pharma drug was there for the taking. Bad situation.

Re "Cocaine DEFINITELY sucks":

Amen to that. Like you I only tried it a few times and the after-effects were a warning I heeded. Ditto speed.

God knows what I'd have felt like after a methamphetamine binge (the drug of choice today) - pretty sure I'd be suicidal.

          • ... salyavin808
          • ... Turq turquoi...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
  • Re: [FairfieldL... Share Long sharelon...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • [Fairfield... s3raph...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]