 John and salyavin, thanks, I enjoyed both these articles and thoroughly
appreciate the concluding remarks:

 So, how do we prepare for something we know so little about? We do so "by
continuing to do good science, but also by realizing that science is not
metaphysically neutral," concluded the conference host Steven Dick.
 He added: "We prepare by continuing to question our assumptions about the
nature of Phys.org - life http://phys.org/tags/life/

 http://phys.org/tags/life/

 Phys.org - life http://phys.org/tags/life/ Home life News tagged with life
sort by: Date 6 hours 12 hours 1 day 3 days all Rank Last day 1 week 1 month
all LiveRank Last day 1 week 1 month all...

 View on phys.org http://phys.org/tags/life/
 Preview by Yahoo

 and intelligence."

All I know is, I'll die happy if we discovery intelligent life elsewhere in the
universe.

 If something comes to visit us, even better! What form it will take is a
mystery, if they're at our level of knowledge about how the universe works
they'll come in person. If they are more advanced they might turn up as robots
with their DNA (or fundamentally equivalent) stored somewhere and then they'll
convert any matter they find into themselves. It all must be possible because
we are made out of bits of the universe so there aint no reason why something
with advanced knowledge can't transmute other bits, or even empty space, into
whatever they like.

 But the fact that's possible and we can't see any evidence of the sort of
things they could build might mean we are on our own or that nobody ever gets
further than us. Not round these parts anyway. Or it it might be something even
stranger that turns up and freaks us out. It's all a mystery but given how many
hoops we had to jump through on this planet to get how we are, can life like us
be common?

 Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-11-alien-life.html#jCp
http://phys.org/news/2014-11-alien-life.html#jCp