 From: "jr_esq@... [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
 To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 3:44 PM
 Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Non-biological Intelligence

   Share,

 It all depends on what you believe is the basis of the universe.  If you
believe that consciousness is the basis of the universe, it is likely that you
would say biological intelligence is the more common way of development.  This
is because we know this happens on earth where humans exist.

 Non-biological intelligence implies that this is created by another type of
beings--more likely humans or biological entities.  I can see how a
non-biological intelligence could be an advantage.   For example, robots can
direct and maintain the functions of a spaceship for centuries, without eating
and sleeping like humans, until the destination is reached.

 In the distant future, humans could develop these intelligent robots to take
human sperms and eggs to a nearby or distant star in the Milky Way.  When an
earthlike planet is reached or found, the robots can artificially inseminate
the eggs with sperms to grow human beings who will populate or repopulate the
new world.

 But if there is a faster way to get to the other worlds, then the assumptions
would be different.

 John and salyavin, thanks, I enjoyed both these articles and thoroughly
appreciate the concluding remarks:

 So, how do we prepare for something we know so little about? We do so "by
continuing to do good science, but also by realizing that science is not
metaphysically neutral," concluded the conference host Steven Dick.
 He added: "We prepare by continuing to question our assumptions about the
nature of life http://phys.org/tags/life/ and intelligence."

 Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-11-alien-life.html#jCp
http://phys.org/news/2014-11-alien-life.html#jCp