--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yes, I agree with you here. And I find it depressing to think that
Lynch, a high-
> profile character who can get the attention of young people, then
has to watch
> all the interest dissipate when the fee is mentioned.  I would set
if for students
> at about $300-400.

******

I'm OK with Lynch's tour (not all college students are broke, of
course), but sooner or later somebody is going to do the math --
Lynch's foundation only has $410K in the bank, so they can only
scholarship 164 people, and those will undoubtedly be inner-city
kids in the charter schools, not the college kids he is talking to.
But, that's the luck of the world in the Kaliyuga -- the transition
to enlightenment values can't happen quickly...

Bob Brigante
http://geocities.com/bbrigante/updates.html

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bbrigante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > > It's the headline in Global Good News that's misleading. The
> > article  itself is
> > > clearly a report ABOUT the NYT article. That's quite
different. Of
> > > course they've mentioned the good bits and omitted the so-so
bits.
> > There's
> > > nothing wrong in that.  But the headline shouldn't have been
> > chosen to  make
> > > it appear that it was a reprinted article from the NY Times.
> > Perhaps  this was
> > > just incompetence rather than a deliberate attempt to mislead,
> > since the
> > > article itself clearly indicates that it is GGN's report about
the
> > NYT article, not
> > > the article itself.
> > >

> > *****************
> >
> > Nevertheless, I don't like this stuff at all, because it is not
> > useful for the TMO. Everybody who read the NYT article, a much
> > larger audience than GGN, saw that there were problems, like the
> > student who backed off because of the too-high instruction fee
for
> > TM. So what this amounts too is one TMer telling the rest of the
> > choir that everything is coming up roses, but it ain't. There
are
> > TMers who read GGN and won't go to the NYT article, and may
think
> > that it accurately reflects the article -- this head in the sand
> > approach can't be useful, and I doubt if the NYT editors like
this
> > stuff, either, because it amounts to altering the article to fit
an
> > agenda. If you're going to have a NYT headline, you should
> > accurately reflect the content, or at least have a hot link to
the
> > article: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/14/giving/14koppel.html
> >

> > Bob Brigante
> > http://geocities.com/bbrigante
> >

> > > FROM GLOBAL GOOD NEWS
> > > Earth's future peacemakers just need a little TM
> > > by Lily Koppel
> > > The New York Times    Translate This Article
> > > On 14 November 2005 The New York Times reported: Filmmaker
David
> > > Lynch is raising money to make the Transcendental Meditation
> > Programme
> > > available to students from first grade through college. New
York
> > Times
> > > reporter Lily Koppel said that Lynch wants to make the simple
> > mental
> > > technique 'a standard in every student's curriculum'. It is a
joy
> > for Global Good
> > > News service to feature this news, which indicates the success
of
> > the life-
> > > supporting programmes Maharishi has designed to bring
fulfilment
> > to the field
> > > of world-peace.
> > > Although often described as 'notoriously reclusive', Lynch has
> > stepped into
> > > the public spotlight by founding the David Lynch Foundation
for
> > > Consciousness-Based Education and has embarked on a speaking
tour
> > > universities on the East and West Coasts. His goal is
clear: 'I
> > really think it will
> > > change the world,' Lynch was quoted as saying.
> > > The article said that the Lynch Foundation currently has
assets of
> > about
> > > $410,000. To date seven schools have each been awarded $25,000
in
> > seed
> > > money to begin programmes using the TM Technique. Two of the
> > charter
> > > schools discussed their programmes with the New York Times
> > reporter.
> > > Dr George H. Rutherford, principal of the Ideal Academy Public
> > Charter
> > > School, an elementary and middle school in Washington, DC,
said of
> > Lynch,
> > > 'He is going to revolutionize education in America.'
> > > Dr Rutherford said that while other foundations tend to focus
on
> > providing
> > > learning tools (such as computers) to students, the
Transcendental
> > Meditation
> > > Programme helps develop the students themselves. 'TM helps to
> > reduce the
> > > stress that creates problems,' he was quoted as saying.
> > > Researchers at Maharishi University of Management in
Fairfield,
> > Iowa, will
> > > measure the effects of the meditation programme on students.
> > > A second school to receive a $25,000 grant from the Lynch
> > Foundation was
> > > the Nataki Talibah Schoolhouse of Detroit, a public charter
> > school, which
> > > previously received TM financing from the DaimlerChrysler
> > Corporation Fund
> > > and the General Motors Foundation.
> > > According to the article, Nataki seventh- and eighth-grade
> > students who
> > > worked as a non-meditating control group in a 2002 study,
tracking
> > the
> > > 'social-emotional competencies' of the meditating students,
now
> > want to
> > > experience what their peers had.
> > > In addition, Koppel reported, the Lynch Foundation is
partnering
> > with other
> > > philanthropists to grant another $25,000 each to the
University of
> > Michigan,
> > > Yale, Emerson College and other colleges to help teach
students
> > TM. The
> > > foundation is also partnering to support an American
University
> > study on TM
> > > and college students.
> > >
> > > Every day Global Good News documents the rise of a better
quality
> > of life
> > > dawning in the world and highlights the need for introducing
> > Natural Law
> > > based—Total Knowledge based—programmes to bring the support of
> > Nature
> > > to every individual, raise the quality of life of every
society,
> > and create a
> > > lasting state of world peace.
> > >
> > > Copyright © 2005 Global Good News(sm) Service.
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "dhamiltony2k5"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > do
> > is