Wow! That's tacky. As we're about to celebrate one of the main events in the
Christian calendar, to link the birth of Christ with "rape culture" shows a low
level of consciousness.

 Thinking about it it does occur to me that I could turn your slur against you.
The whole point of the Nativity narrative in Luke's gospel is to contrast the
pomp and glory of worldly power with the story of a threatened child born into
abject poverty. A member of the "underclass" as we'd say today.

 If the child really was the bastard product of a brutal rape that would only
emphasize his lack of status in the eyes of the social elite. Social status is
conventional; our true nature transcends social roles. That's what our
Christian brethren are expressing in mythological imagery.

 There is no shortage of sexual exploitation in The Bible and The Koran - seems
odd to highlight the Virgin Birth which is manifestly presented as a unique,
world-historical privilege and must have contributed more than any other factor
to a reverence for women in the West.

 It's not, after all, as if anyone asked for Mary's consent when knocking her
up, right?

 Why rape is so intrinsic to religion
http://www.salon.com/2014/12/21/why_rape_is_so_intrinsic_to_religion_partner/

 http://www.salon.com/2014/12/21/why_rape_is_so_intrinsic_to_religion_partner/

 Why rape is so intrinsic to religion
http://www.salon.com/2014/12/21/why_rape_is_so_intrinsic_to_religion_partner/
Stories like the virgin birth lack freely given female consent. It's telling
how ready we still are to embrace them

 View on www.salon.com
http://www.salon.com/2014/12/21/why_rape_is_so_intrinsic_to_religion_partner/
 Preview by Yahoo