It might be helpful to define "karma" as used in Indian doctrine. The theory of
karma is dirt simple: all things fall down; human excrement always flows
downstream; gravity sucks. It's not a metaphysics - it's just an observation
that holds true for everyone and everything. You strike a billiard ball with
another and there is an opposite reaction - cause and effect. It's not
complicated.

Sankhya philosophy concers the self-generated Purusha, the Being and the
relative nature of the thirty-two evolutes of prakriti born of nature. It is
clearly stated in the scriptures that the Purusha is entirely separate from the
prakriti. According to historians of philosophy, the Sankhya philosophy was the
first systematic attempt at explaining the dualistic point-of-view.*

Sankhya teaches us that the world is governed by natural law - causation.
Sankhya advocates propound that action and the results of actions can be known
and explained through the science of enumeration, human observation, and direct
experience. The Sage Kapila compiled a series of aphorisms which express this
darshana, one of the Six Systems of Indian Philosophy.

The question is: does karm work on the level of mental. With the exception of
the materialist Charvaka, all the Indian sages agreed that it indeed does work
on the level of thought.

"And from the contrast with that which is composed of the three
constituents, there follows, for the Purusha, the character of Being, a
witness; freedom from misery, neutrality, percipience, and non-agency."

Work cited:

Samkhya Sutras
"The Samkhyakarika of Isvarakrishna"
Samkhyakarika, XVII
trans. and ed. by Suryanarayana Sastri
U. of Madras, 1935

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

The law of karma, as I usually hear of it seems pretty dumb, because it is not
explained clearly, and there is no proof of it.

 This is not necessarily so. Comments in your text.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <jason_green2@...> wrote :

 Xeno, let's use a little logic here. If you existed before
you were born, you will continue to exist after you die.
If you didn't exist before you were born, you will not exist
after you die.

 There are multiple possibilities here:
 You could exist before you were born, be born and live, then die and not
exist. You could exist before you were born, be born and live, then die and
exist. You could exist before you were born, be stillborn dead, and then exist.
You could exist before you were born, be stillborn dead, and then not exist.
You could not exist before you were born, be born and live, and then die and
not exist. You could not exist before you were born, be born and live, and then
die and exist You could not exist before you were born, be stillborn and dead,
and then exist. You could not exist before you were born, be stillborn and
dead, and then not exist. (This last one is a real bummer, but of course you
would never know)
 What is not so clear is how these various scenarios could work out to be true.
Simply saying there is a law of karma and that it is 'subtler' than the laws of
physics. is just a way of avoiding describing how the whole thing works, and
whether there is any evidence that could support the idea. The laws of physics
describe things that are far beyond the ability of the human nervous system to
perceive or feel or even experience, but they are not necessarily beyond the
ability of machines to detect, which allows us to experience those things by
proxy as a mental construct, but never directly.

 First of all, what does one mean when we use the word 'you'. Is it the same
'you' before birth, at birth and in life, and after death, or what? The
experience of, or perhaps, the knowledge of, being as an undefined
attribute-less substratum of all existence that remains before, during, and
after bodies are  born and perish might be considered one's existence, but it
then excludes the life of the body with its mental panorama and personality
(what we normally consider a person) as being what the 'you' really are. That
personality is not what is maintained throughout birth and death in this case.

 On the other hand if what people normally consider a person is is somehow
maintained through the mill of birth and death, the 'you' that we usually mean
when we talk to someone, how does that happen? How is the essence of that
personality stored in between births, and where is it stored, and how is it
reconstituted? This all seems extraordinarily vague to me; people tell me it
does, and leave it at that, which means they do not know otherwise they could
explain it.

 My view of birth and death is this: All things that exist have being. Being is
an abstract principle that all things, individually and collectively (that is,
the universe as a whole) have. Being is equivalent of having existence, no
matter what kind or how. It is totally obvious, anything that exists has being.
It is a definition. When the human mind and senses experience an aspect of this
being and loses sight as it were, of the connectivity of existence, the
totality of all the separate beings together, it experiences this aspect of
being as a separate object or thing, and thus the being, which appears to have
the property of consciousness under certain circumstances (such as when an
aspect of being is a nervous system complex enough to have senses and a decent
CPU, is 'born' as that object, not because something is happening, but because
the perception and knowledge of timeless eternity is lost in that perception.
If the totality of being is not lost in perception and knowledge, then nothing
is born or dies. So the reality or non reality of birth and death is really
just a matter of how narrow or wide perception and knowledge is. The
enlightened being sees continuity of being, the unenlightened being sees
discontinuity of being, yet both are seeing the same world, but the mind of
each has a different slant on the experience.

The law of karma or balance is a very subtle law, compared
to other gross laws of physics. That's why it's not apparent
to most people.

The law of karma, as I usually hear of it seems pretty dumb, because it is not
explained clearly, and there is no proof of it. There is no proof of what I
said about it above either. This is something that might come, or might not
come with long meditation practice, but in any case, if it comes, telling it to
another can at best spark interest to investigate, certainly not a proof. If
something can be apparent to some people, but not all, then an explanation of
how it can become apparent to those that perceive it can be given. Here is your
chance.

You lifting a pen could be action, and you putting it down
could be reaction. The point is, time lag for these actions
can differ.

Coming to your point, if there is no such thing as
reincarnation, existence would be totally meaningless,
nature unfair, and God if it exists a lunatic.

We create the meaning of our existence. That does not mean that existence
really has any meaning. Why should it have meaning? A totally meaningless
existence would be fine with me. That does not mean it cannot have some fun in
it. There seems to be fun. And misery. If you postulate a god that creates this
world, and take into account that which happens in this world, then of course
it all seems unfair and meaningless if you attribute absurd qualities to the
god, like all goodness and benevolence, because doing that is illogical
considering the nature of the world that the god supposedly created. To worm
one's way around blaming this psychotic deity for the misery aspect, you have
to invent all sorts of spurious workarounds, like sin, free will, karma,
rebirth, to try to make sense of this totally dumb system of values wherein a
benevolent deity somehow manages to create a world filled with evil and
suffering. Logically, creating a god that is a total bastard with an occasional
flash of benevolence is a better idea, for then you do not need absurd
explanatory detours.

 Here is something from Ludwig Wittgenstein to mull over (emphasis added):

 The sense of the world must lie outside the world. In the world everything is
as it is, and everything happens as it does happen: in it no value exists — and
if it did exist, it would have no value.

 If there is any value that does have value, it must lie outside the whole
sphere of what happens and is the case. For all that happens and is the case is
accidental.
 What makes it non-accidental cannot lie within the world, since if it did it
would itself be accidental. It must lie outside the world.

 So too it is impossible for there to be propositions of ethics. Propositions
can express nothing that is higher.

 It is clear that ethics cannot be put into words. Ethics is transcendental.
(Ethics and aesthetics are one and the same.)

 When an ethical law of the form, 'Thou shalt...' is laid down, one's first
thought is, 'And what if I do not do it?' It is clear, however, that ethics has
nothing to do with punishment and reward in the usual sense of the terms. So
our question about the consequences of an action must be unimportant. — At
least those consequences should not be events. For there must be something
right about the question we posed. There must indeed be some kind of ethical
reward and ethical punishment, but they must reside in the action itself. (And
it is also clear that the reward must be something pleasant and the punishment
something unpleasant.)

 It is impossible to speak about the will in so far as it is the subject of
ethical attributes.
 And the will as a phenomenon is of interest only to psychology.

 If the good or bad exercise of the will does alter the world, it can alter
only the limits of the world, not the facts — not what can be expressed by
means of language.
 In short the effect must be that it becomes an altogether different world. It
must, so to speak, wax and wane as a whole.

 The world of the happy man is a different one from that of the unhappy man.

 So too at death the world does not alter, but comes to an end.

 Death is not an event in life: we do not live to experience death. If we take
eternity to mean not infinite temporal duration but timelessness, then eternal
life belongs to those who live in the present. Our life has no end in just the
way in which our visual field has no limits.

 Not only is there no guarantee of the temporal immortality of the human soul,
that is to say of its eternal survival after death; but, in any case, this
assumption completely fails to accomplish the purpose for which it has always
been intended. Or is some riddle solved by my surviving for ever? Is not this
eternal life itself as much of a riddle as our present life? The solution of
the riddle of life in space and time lies outside space and time.

 (It is certainly not the solution of any problems of natural science that is
required.)

 How things are in the world is a matter of complete indifference for what is
higher. God does not reveal himself in the world.

 The facts all contribute only to setting the problem, not to its solution.

 It is not how things are in the world that is mystical, but that it exists.

 To view the world sub specie aeterni is to view it as a whole — a limited
whole.
 Feeling the world as a limited whole — it is this that is mystical.

 When the answer cannot be put into words, neither can the question be put into
words.
 The riddle does not exist. If a question can be framed at all, it is also
possible to answer it.

 Scepticism is not irrefutable, but obviously nonsensical, when it tries to
raise doubts where no questions can be asked. For doubt can exist only where a
question exists, a question only where an answer exists, and an answer only
where something can be said.

 We feel that even when all possible scientific questions have been answered,
the problems of life remain completely untouched. Of course there are then no
questions left, and this itself is the answer.

 The solution of the problem of life is seen in the vanishing of the problem.
 (Is not this the reason why those who have found after a long period of doubt
that the sense of life became clear to them have then been unable to say what
constituted that sense?)

 There are, indeed, things that cannot be put into words. They make themselves
manifest. They are what is mystical.

 ========================

The determinism of the classical universe and the randomness
of the quantum universe, complement and balance each other.
As you pointed out, randomness itself is statistically
constrained. Which means there was no intention behind the
big bang itself.

--- <anartaxius@...> wrote :

Share & Jason

Share, I do believe you never consider anything as a statement of logic.
Settling for the sense of it on resonance, which is really a subtle sense of
feeling allows one to bypass figuring out what it might mean. If beyond thought
and feeling, that puts it beyond understanding. I myself do not think much
about this any more, but it comes up time to time. A contradiction (con =
against, & diction = speech) is a statement that says x is so and x is not so
at the same time, which is nonsense.

Jason's response shows more analysis. Determinism is the doctrine that all
events, including human action, are ultimately determined by causes external to
the will. While free will is the power of acting without the constraint of
necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion. This sets
individuality against the universe. The universe can be regarded as having
either natural laws which mindlessly govern activity in a mechanical fashion,
or as having an intentional stance, having a mind which determines action
through will, such as gods are supposed to have. Individual will is an
intentional stance that opposes universal laws or the activity of the gods. One
can question whether the universe as a whole has will in the intentional stance
sense, because proving gods (1 or more) exist seems out of the question. That
nature's activity seems rather overpowering in a deterministic sense is pretty
obvious, but why that is is not.

Quantum mechanics shows us a certain proportion of indeterminacy on a
microscopic scale. This is not apparent on the macroscopic scale, but it seems
to mean things will never repeat themselves in quite the same way but the
variations on the macroscopic scale will be subtle to say the least. The
chance, or randomness of particle interaction is not will because there seems
to be no intention behind it, it just happens. It is also constrained
statistically so it cannot be said to be free either.

Recent experiments with the human brain seem to show our sense of will is
illusory, that the brain comes to make certain kinds of decisions in a
mechanical way, and the results of this 'decision' comes into awareness after
the fact, often seconds, as much as seven seconds after the fact. That means
consciousness is passive, and does nothing, since it does not know what is
happening until after the deed is done. This could hardly be said to be the
activity of will. If anything, it is a demonstration of the effect of universal
determinism, unless we conclude that micro quantum events introduce an element
of chance. But has we note, chance is not a constrained by the concept of will,
it bypasses will altogether, but is statistically constrained, which in a sense
means its effect is at least partially determined, it is not free in the sense
of unconstrained, its functioning is not at its own discretion. Chance has no
mind.

So we are left with mechanical determined universal action without an
intentional stance behind it, both for the universe and for us, but we have the
idea in our heads, that we have an intentional stance, even if it is not really
there. And then there is that throw of the quantum dice, which prevents us from
ever figuring out exactly what is happening when we look deeply into the matter.

As for the concept of karmic rebound, not sure how that works or if it exists.
If something happens, then something else happens because things are
interconnected. I just lifted a pen off my desk, and then put it back down on
the desk. What is the karmic rebound here? I have no idea what that would mean
in this situation.

Suppose a universe in which each person lives, and dies, and is not immortal
and vanishes forever at death (kind of like ours). Suppose this person commits
a murder in this universe, and is never caught, never even suspected, and this
person subsequently lives a happy life filled with joy until he/she dies. What
is the karmic rebound in this situation?

--- <jason_green2@...> wrote :
This is a little difficult to explain, but I'll try.

When you perform an action, the karmic rebound is certain.
However, when, where and how that rebound will occur cannot
be predicted as existence itself does not know about it.
There is an element of randomness here that is difficult to
comprehend and is unexplainable.

If you study evolution carefully, you will notice that
evolution itself is partially deterministic and partially
random. There is a broad set of laws and yet randomness
plays a part.

--- <sharelong60@...> wrote :

 Xeno, I don't understand it as a statement of logic. I understand it as a
koan, a statement meant to take the mind beyond logic to a deeper truth. I find
there is a level of life where all contradictions exist together. It is beyond
thought and feeling. I sometimes call it knowingness, but resonance might be a
more descriptive word.

--- <anartaxius@...> wrote :

That is of course Share, a logical contradiction; hence, false. A statement
like this acts as a metaphor for a certain way of understanding how the
universe runs, provided you can penetrate the metaphor for its real
significance. What has determinism? What has free will? Since they are
diametrically opposed in function, what could this mean, if it means anything
at all? Since the statement is literally untrue, why does it feel right to you?
Is that feeling correct, or is it based on some hidden assumption which allows
you accept a falsehood.

 --- <sharelong60@...> wrote :

 ...I heard Maharishi say: 100% determinism and 100% free will. That feels
right to me.