CDB, I am glad you are back and I hope I can lend you as well as some others
who would return some protection of trust and safety here to write more freely.
The railroading of you by invasion of privacy was one of the more infamous
times of abuse on FFL.

 That personalized invasion of your privacy was a low point on FFL that was way
against Rick's original intentions for the site and clearly against what are
now the yahoo-groups guidelines. Yours was proly not the moment of decline but
the list had evidently jumped a shark before with an influx of personal
antagonisms which have since developed into some literary forms of perfection
in a hyper personalization of the ad hominem meme here to hurt people.

 Folks are now making a lot of assumptions about my feelings about content. I
had long interviews with Rick about this in coming in to the job of FFL CEO.
However, my coming in to the FFL CEO [Chief Enforcement Officer] of yahoo's
groups-guidelines is not about content but is about the personalization of
unkindness that has become cultural on FFL, like the unkindness you experienced.

 Generally going forward now, folks should expect that their posts will be
summarily deleted where unkindness crosses in to violation of the yahoo-groups
guidelines. The guidelines are really quite simple and the many sophist-icated
and several of our professional writers here can take the time for
self-restraint before they may push their send button to FFL.

 Writing more generally, soon I am going to start following Rick's lead on this
and start to delete posts or more made to the list without warning where the
invective in writing is personalized. Yes it is fine to comment, deal with and
thoughtfully consider content but if folks are having arguments that are
personal they should just take themselves offline and spare FFL. Going forward,
personalized name-calling that is degrading, disrespectful or humiliating will
quickly be seen to become abuse on FFL. Read through the yahoo-groups
guidelines and reflect. Where it is at all evident just expect to be moderated
one way or another by any of the moderators without explanation.

 Generally, I do not expect to spend much time editing at all on this or
discussing this, particularly with trolls at all. Take the time to read over
the yahoo-groups guidelines and write accordingly. Error well on the side of
kindness and you will be well within the yahoo-groups guidelines and fine.

 I appreciate and understand that some lot of folks here spend a lot of their
life energy and time composing things to post on FFL. Going forward now,
self-regulate yourselves according to the yahoo guidelines error-ing well on
the side of kindness and save yourself your time invested in writing. Having to
delete posts is a terrible waste of your time and my time as well to have to do
it.

 CDB, I am glad you are back. -JaiGuruYou

 P.S.,  The Yahoo-groups Guidelines:
 https://policies.yahoo.com/us/en/yahoo/guidelines/groups/index.htm
https://policies.yahoo.com/us/en/yahoo/guidelines/groups/index.htm

 #
 Jumping the shark is an idiom created by Jon Hein that was used to describe
the moment in the evolution of a television show when it begins a decline in
quality, signaled by a particular scene, episode, or aspect of a show  ..and is
seen by viewers to be the point at which the show strayed irreparably from its
original premise. ..The usage of "jump the shark" has subsequently broadened
beyond television, indicating the moment when a brand, design, franchise or
creative effort's evolution declines.
 #

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <curtisdeltabl...@yahoo.com> wrote :

 Thanks Judy, I had not seen that and it does answer some of my concerns about
Rick's intentions as well as supports your view that it is OK to use Doug's
real name officially. Much appreciated.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <curtisdeltablues@...> wrote :

 I think this excess of caution from you and others, frankly, is just another
way to express resistance to the new moderation regime, by making it seem far
more onerous than it has any likelihood of turning out to be.

Me: I don't see the connection.

 You don't? Huh. I should think it would be obvious. The worse it's projected
to be, the greater the justification for opposing it.

 You are welcome to any interpretation you want to believe but my reasons were
as stated.

J:
 Doug will get bounced as moderator by Rick if he overdoes things, and he knows
it.

Me: When he let Richard back on I realized that I am on my own here and I have
no trust in the system to protect my interests here. What is considered as
overdoing is highly subjective.

 See the quotes from Rick's posts below. I don't think there's much reason to
expect him to go along with oppressive moderation given his past history, both
with FFL and with the movement.

 J:

  What Rick wants is for the horrific personal abuse to stop.

Me: I don't know what evidence you have to support this statement either in its
main point or your personal added spin. My guess is that Rick got sick of his
bugging him about it and just wanted it to stop which I suspect is the same way
Richard got back on within a month of being banned.

 Again, see the quotes below. It wasn't just Doug. (And I wasn't one of those
who contacted him, just for the record.)

J: Doug has various tools at his disposal short of banishment, including
warnings and setting an individual's posts to come to him for approval before
posting. Let's all relax and see what happens rather than expecting the worst
and protesting it in advance.

Me: I find the idea that he is the judge of any of my posts repugnant but I
accept your last sentence as a bit of wisdom that applies.

 Quotes from Rick's posts here:

 Almost daily, various people urge me to moderate FFL or get someone to do it.
With BatGap and my other responsibilities, I don’t have the time. I believe in
very minimal moderation, at least for FFL. I think the “anything goes” nature
of it has contributed to its success and longevity. But I think we are
obligated to at least abide by Yahoo’s guidelines. Theoretically, frequent
violation of those guidelines could get the group shut down. Doug Hamilton has
volunteered to moderate and to limit his moderation to ensuring adherence to
Yahoo’s guidelines and no more. He will not moderate with his puritanical Buck
alter-ego. I know some will bristle at what they perceive as a restriction of
their freedom of speech, but different types of speech are appropriate in
different contexts, and again, in the context of a Yahoo group, we are
obligated to abide by Yahoo’s guidelines. So I’m going to try this and see how
it goes. If Doug abuses his authority and/or fails to moderate fairly and
objectively, I will revoke his moderator status.

 I give little attention to FFL because I’m so busy with other things. But I’ve
gotten so many complaints recently that I may appoint a moderator soon, and
will announce it when I do. I don’t believe in censorship, but I also don’t
believe in enabling abusive behavior.

 J:

 As to Doug's last name in the header of his posts, to see it, do this: Click
Reply to any of his posts, then click the downward arrows to the left of the
Subject line, then click the downward arrow to the right of the TO: line.

 Click any of the email addresses shown to send your message to that address.
E.g., the one that says "dhamilton2K5@..." will put that address in the TO:
field and thus send him a personal email.

Me: I accept your point for you but still don't trust it for me.

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <curtisdeltablues@...> wrote :

 I didn't snip it as a statement about your posting it Judy. I am just
exercising and abundance of caution in these changing times where I don't
expect the benefit of any doubt. I looked back at a few of Buck's posts and
didn't see his name so until he directly says it is OK to me I am trying to
avoid it in any thread I am posting on. I agree with your point but I don't
believe you would ever be a target of the new regime while I might be.

It is a bit sensitive for me because a poster here began a campaign to post my
full name by quoting any post where it occurred. I believe that you are
expressing the spirit of the law, but sometimes it is the spirit that is weak
while the flesh is enthusiastically willing!

 Regarding your snippage below, Rick's policy has always been that the use of
real names is prohibited only if the person wishes to remain anonymous. Doug
uses his real first name to sign his posts, and his last name is in the header
of his posts, so there was no need to snip it. Mine isn't in the header (it
used to be pre-Neo and was on alt.m.t), and I don't sign my posts, but I've
never objected to my real name being used; I prefer it to my authfriend handle,
in fact.

  • [FairfieldLife] Re: Conf... authfri...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • [FairfieldLife] Re:... curtisdeltabl...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
      • [FairfieldLife]... authfri...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]