Be aware that he who shall not be invoked by name subscribed to FFL2 last
night. So far, he's behaving himself, and everyone else is completely ignoring
him.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <curtisdeltabl...@yahoo.com> wrote :

 Thanks for the suggestion Alex. I appreciate your taking precautions against
people who wish to do real harm while we are trying to enjoy some open
conversations. I think your idea makes it much clearer when someone crosses the
line. If I knew then what I know now before starting on FF...

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <j_alexander_stanley@...> wrote :

 Yesterday, on FFL2, I addressed the the issue of Curtis or Vaj subscribing to
FFL2. I would request that they join with email identities that search engines
won't immediately link to any online presence they want to protect from search
rankings shenanigans. Rick's business is Search Engine Optimization, and he
understands all that stuff. Me? The only thing I know about SEO is that it
exists. And, until I go into business making edible fetishware out of sous vide
grass-fed brisket and have a website of my own, I'm not likely to ever know
anything else about SEO. I don't want to deal with non-anonymity that needs to
be protected by me according to the whims of search engine algorithms. Meet me
half way: use an identity that doesn't directly link to your protected real
life, and I'll smack down on anyone who posts stuff that connects the two
identities.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <curtisdeltablues@...> wrote :

 Me:
Protecting people who post from asshole trolls with bad intentions, and letting
adults express themselves the way they want. I hope it is back at the original
FFL site because of the legacy of all we have put into this place.

 It's funny because that is exactly how I feel about FFL now. Aren't people
just so interesting how they can see something in such very different ways? I
mean it, this just never fails to fascinate me.

M: I guess my comment only makes sense in context of what Alex has done with
with people who are trying to get at people in the real world on the Freer
site. He is erring on the side of thoughtful caution to promote an environment
for free speech. Sure people say things that may hurt other's feelings. He is
not going after that. He is taking out people who are going  beyond that. And
even though I love Edg as a brother, I thought Alex's correction of his
hyperbole about stalking Buck in he real world was a good call as he clarified
what Edg really meant. He is providing actual safety without curtailing free
speech.

 "Free speech" sounds very positive and something we all want, right? But "free
speech" as demonstrated on FFL and a million other forums around the planet
often takes the form of gratuitous insults and mean-spirited bullshit and, yes,
trolling. When someone wants to say something, anything, and they want the
right to say it, no matter the consequences, they might describe this as "free
speech" and aren't we all just a little bit enamored of this idea as promoted
by our very constituuuuution  of the UUUUUUUnited States. But, for me, the idea
of "freedom of speech" as it manifests itself at, of all places FFL, makes me
laugh because I just can't take it seriously. If Doug were to ban me tomorrow
for spelling "meditation" wrong I would simply walk away and fail to, in any
way, feel like my right to freedom of speech was taken away.

 As far as the "trying to get at people in the real world" I would ask you
this: what is it about what you are doing at FFL that you are afraid of others
knowing about? What is it that you don't feel okay about? I mean, are you
someone who is one thing in the "real world" and another thing here? If you are
another thing here then who are you in the "real world"? I just can't take this
all as seriously as you do and I still have a job in "the real world". And
anyway, Rick always took down those who blew the cover on those who wished to
remain anonymous for one reason or another; it isn't just Alex who is enforcing
this. My suggestion, when you do subscribe to FFL2 don't use CDB - you are easy
to find even for a techno-dolt like myself.