--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "L B Shriver"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bbrigante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> snip
>
> . Numerous studies have persuaded linguistic
> > researchers that acquisition of a second language after the age
of
> > 15 means that one is unlikely to acquire mastery (especially in
> > terms of pronunciation -- the brain has less flexibility after
the
> > age of 15), although there are certainly individual variations:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/a322s
> > "learning before the age of 7 yields perfect command
>
> *********
>
> I have found it interesting that at MSAE Maharishi doesn't allow
2nd language acquisition
> at the younger age (he may make an exception for Sanskrit) because
he claims that for the
> youngster to speak something other than the "mother tongue" creates
some subtle kind of
> confusion—even though, as you note, it is the ideal time for
language acquistion.

> Does anyone have more precise information on this?
>
> L B S

I hadn't heard that claim. I have heard that he thinks the only way
to acquire a second language completely is to live in a country where
it is spoken natively. This is in-line with normal linguistics
research, from what I hear.

Ever feel sad or cry for no reason at all? Depression. Narrated by Kate Hudson.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YbEMxA/ubOLAA/d1hLAA/0NYolB/TM