 By e-mail to FFL, FW:
 I was trying to post this comment to the abortion thread:

 Just popping in on this conversation, not having followed the thread, but for
what it’s worth, Maharishi used to say that the soul enters the body several
months into the pregnancy. Prior to that, abortion is like “removing a wart” –
his words. After that, it would have more serious implications. There’s a story
at the beginning of the Mahabharata where a woman agrees to marry a king if he
promises never to question anything she does. He agrees, and she ends up
throwing the first 5 or 6 of her newborn children into a river. Finally, the
king can’t stand it any more and objects, so that child lives. Turns out, the
children were gods who had been cursed to take birth as human beings. They had
worked out a plea deal in which their lives would be mercifully short. But the
main offender was doomed to live an ordinary lifespan, so he was the one not
thrown into the river.

 "A wart", wow. That is pretty interesting language. Here is a fetus at 7
weeks. A developing life, yes. A victim of "murder" if aborted by a doctor? A
victim of homicide if rejected by the body? I don't know. Either way it is the
end of a life, something that happens all of the time in every species for a
million reasons. Sacrilege? Sin? Aberration of natural law? I believe we all
need to allow expectant mothers to make their choice based on all of the
complexity of factors dogging them when faced with an "unwanted" pregnancy.
"Unwanted" can be for a host of reasons ranging from rape by a relative to
endangerment of the mother's life were she to have a child to extreme poverty
where the father might be a pedophile or HIV positive. There is no easy answer
just as the solution is often not easy. But if terminating a small seed of life
means there will be less suffering somewhere along the way then perhaps that is
the answer.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <emily.mae50@...> wrote :

 That's been a point of mine for awhile - that it's a decision, a very personal
decision, that the woman makes.  It's not an easy one—not simply a cold,
heartless, decision.  A hard decision.  A decision made as her hormones are
ramping up to high levels and changing all the chemistry, let's remember.  No
doubt there are spiritual and emotional consequences that have to be personally
worked through. It's not one where the woman should be condemned and vilified
and accused of *murder.*  Give me a break!  Fear leads to procrastination and
procrastination can lead to death.  Most of the images shown are of
"later-stage" (later than the 6 to 8 week optimal time) abortions, used to
support the "pro-life" movement and rabid evangelists.  The earlier the better
for all involved and my belief is, that if we "decriminalized" it as a society,
women would be better off and wouldn't have to face the kind of shame and blame
that can lead to death.  The best option is always to avoid pregnancy if not
wanted, but that doesn't always happen in real life.

 I guess early on the fetus is just a "tissue", and really, I am not sure what
the term is when abortions are legal, but many of the images of abortions I
have seen don't look like just a mass of "tissue".

 I am not disputing a woman's right to choose, but it appears to often come
with emotional turmoil.  A close associate of mine recently had an abortion.
It was, in my opinion the right decision and she felt good about it, but now,
several months later, she is struggling a bit emotionally.

 I would also have to say, that I don't think a fetus, from a spiritual
perspective, is likely to have a "better luck next time" attitude about the
whole event.  I believe there is a behind the scenes scenario that plays out
whereby a soul prepares to reincarnate.  At what point that soul may enter, or
take ownership of the fetus, I don't know.  Perhaps, if I had a better
understanding of that more esoteric aspect of "it", I would have a better idea
of what, if any, are the unseen implications of an abortion.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <emily.mae50@...> wrote :

 Go ahead and stand on your soapbox, Mike.  Stand there all day if you like!
It's time for me to get off mine. :)  Seems to me that the population of the
planet is not suffering in the least from a woman's right to abortion!

 Yes, birth control, in the sense that the tissue is not be allowed to continue
growing into a human being.  Her body, her decision.  Period.  The decision is
made by the woman for the good of the woman and of the potential child.  That's
the way I see it, hands down.  As a woman and the mother, she should retain the
*right* to make that decision.

 I'm all for birth control to prevent an unwanted pregnancy, make no mistake.

 Maybe you'll be reincarnated as a woman next time around and will get the
opportunity to be a mother too.

 I don't know when the soul enters the body, so to speak.  I truly, deep in my
heart, do not consider it a problem.  If there is a loving God/Creator spirit,
I am perfectly comfortable with the idea that the soul returns to Source, no
harm done.

 There is no *blame* involved, Mike.  God, you sound judgmental!  Have a better
day!  Thanks for the conversation.

 Well, at least you've admitted, though indirectly, that most abortions are
birth control. Unacceptable. Too many ways to prevent it in the first place. In
your mind, at what point does one become a sentient being? I think Nancy Pelosi
says "not until *it* leaves the hospital.
 The blame rests with the person choosing to have the abortion, unless she's
forced to have one.