Various contributors have alleged that they are qualified to judge TM
on its merits without having practiced it. One could no better
accomplish this hopeless task than render an evaluation on chocolate
cake without eating it.
 The fundamental reason for this is not the property of TM involving
the no hard concentration, but instead allowing the mind to wander on
it's own, someting that contrasts TM with a more fundamental type of
traditional meditation; as well as close relatives to TM as found in
Buddhist Traditions and Ananda Marga.  Such a comparison of TM with
other techniques would be incomplete if restricted to this property
alone.
 The most important ingredient is the POWER in the mantra, something
that can be evaluated and compared to other techniques only with
direct initiation.
  My TM mantra definitely has power in it; but my initiation by one of
the Ramakrishna monks at the Vedanta Temple in Hollywood (1976)
provided a mantra with no discernable power in it.
  Likewise, various mantras chanted in Muktananda's group generated
some power, but still inferior to TM (as well as his silent mantra
technique based on Om Namah Shivaya.)  Nope, not much power
there...and I spent an appreciable amount of time in the presence of
Swami Muktananda..
  I've also been initiated by official representives of Guru Maharaji
(1970), Kirpal Singh, Charan Singh, Thakur Singh, and Darshan Singh;
(1974-1976).  Nope, no power in those mantras.
 Also in 1970 I was initiated by a representative of the Eckankar
founder, Paul Twitchell.  No power in that mantra.
  So, fellow (you know who you are)....there's NO substitute for
direct experience!...So...before you say your Buddhist Guru's
teachings are superior to TM, the only way you can assert this with
any validity is to get initiated into TM and do the coke/pepsi test
for yourself.
 Do this and report back on the results.
Without such direct experience, your're a speculator, not a scientist,
and your conclusions are half-baked hypotheses devoid of fact.

Need Help?  Get Help! Tools and Strategies for Healthy Drug-Free Living</a>.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wI.OUB/dbOLAA/d1hLAA/0NYolB/TM