> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Dec 24, 2005, at 12:45 AM, authfriend wrote:
> <snip>
> > > I gather you find it simply insufferable that MMY would
> > > act according to his beliefs.
> >
> > Wake up Judy. The TM$P was a money making scheme. What better
> > extension of that idea than to tell the "All You Need is Love"
> > generation that if they attended these expensive "coherence
> > creating" assemblies they could create world peace.
>
> Uh-huh, except that world peace was MMY's declared
> goal in teaching TM long before the TM-Siddhis were
> even a gleam in his eye--pre-TMO, in fact, back when
> he first began teaching in India.
>
> It seems to me that an Occam's razor approach suggests
> pretty strongly that MMY, while he may be deluded,
> believes in his own teaching.

This is NOT an invitation to argue. I'm just stepping
in to state an alternative point of view; if you feel
the need to argue with someone, it'll have to be some-
one else.  Now, that caveat out of the way:

It seems to me that another explanation, one that to
me seems closer to the facts as I perceive them, is
that Maharishi is just a tired old man who is stuck
in a rut and couldn't change if he wanted to.  As
you say, he started by talking about world peace,
and IMO may have actually believed that the tech-
niques he invented could help to achieve it.  *At
the time.*  My perception is that he stopped
believing that decades ago, but just can't stop
saying the same olde shit.  For one thing, he's
gotten the blurb down so pat he could do it in his
sleep; actually doing something new would be more
of an effort.  For another thing, people keep giving
him money as long as he keeps telling them the lies
they want to hear about world peace and their part
in creating it.

But do I believe that *he* actually believes that
either TM or the TM-siddhis or the never-appearing
pundits would have a ghost of a chance of having
the slightest effect on world peace?  Not for a
minute.

If he *did* really believe the stuff he says, he
has had innumerable opportunities in the past few
years to put those beliefs to the test.  He has
allowed every such opportunity to pass, in my
opinion because he *never* wants these theories
put to the test during his lifetime.  Because he
no longer believes they are true, and because he
doesn't have the strength of character to admit
that to the people he's misled for all these years.