<snip>
> Exactly.  The timidity of people who have been taught
> to believe the "experts" rather than trust their own
> experience is continually frustrating.  I find myself
> wondering whether these folks will *ever* learn to
> trust their own experiences.
>
> After all this time WHO CARES what TeacherX or
> SwamiZ has to say about anything?  On the other
> hand, hearing what other seekers have to say about
> their own subjective experiences might be inter-
> esting, if they just weren't so afraid to express
> them...

It may indeed be interesting, but there's a major
drawback, which is that the translation of nonverbal
experiences into words is inevitably imprecise, an
approximation.  If I describe an experience, my
words mean one thing to me but may mean completely
different things to other people--so I haven't really
communicated my experience at all.

Has nothing to do with not "trusting" one's own
experiences or being "afraid" to express them.  It's
that *words* can't be trusted to express experience
in a way that actually communicates it.  And the
deeper and more subtle the experience, the greater
the potential disjunction between the experience
and the translation into words.