Comment below:

**SNIP**

> >> Different cultures define "caring" in different ways. The TMO's
> >> founder is Hindu, and charity work isn't always the top of the list
> >> for Hindus, I guess due to the reincarnation/karma thing.
> >
> > Amma's a Hindu, and it's at the top of her list. Karunamayi is a
> > Hindu. She
> > too sets up hospitals, schools, etc. Gandhi was a Hindu. The list
> > goes on.
>
> Even Swami Rama, who was involved in severe sexual manipulation of
> his female students, created hospitals, ashrams and methods to take
> his students to full enlightenment--well beyond mere mantra meditation.

**SNIP TO END**

Just as a side comment on the phrase "mere mantra meditation" I've
pasted a little bit from Nisargadatta following.  That's not to say I
don't agree with what I believe is the basic premise behind Vaj's use
of that phrase which is to do whatever it is that draws "you" in your
spiritual pursuit.  You can trust yourself to do what's right for you.
 You can trust yourself to make mistakes, too.  As Nisargadatta says,
it's your earnestness that is key.
"The atman per se is self-sufficient.  But when it
clings to the body, "treatments" such as mental and
physical recreation or occupation are necessary;
without these the atman cannot be tolerated by a
person.  For spiritual evolution, which is a requisite
in the disengagement of the atman from body-identity,
various disciplines have been recommended.  Amongst
these, the best is namasmarana -- recitation of a holy
name of God.  But here God means the indwelling
principle within you -- the atman, which is given
various names.  These represent this "inner-God" who
will respond no matter what names of other Gods you
chant. . . . The keynote of recitation is to confine
this "I-am-ness" within itself.  The listener in you
listens to the chantings and feels greatly pleased.

The merging of beingness within itself is the very
fount of bliss.

If you want eternal peace, you can have it and be it
through the absorbing devotional path -- the nama-japa
or bhakti-yoga.

In this country, for ages it has been accepted that a
sacred name carries great spiritual potency if recited
properly; it has no better substitute. . . .  When you
are initiated into a spiritual discipline with a
sacred name, it means that it represents your "ultimate
true nature."  Be one with the sacred name completely,
then it will give you all the mystic knowledge
necessary for your spiritual elevation.  It will
awaken you into your "eternal awareness."