> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "markmeredith2002"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > snip
> >
> > > You know what I find fascinating? The people on
> > > these forums who most vociferously defend the current
> > > prices that the TMO charges for TM would in most
> > > cases *not* be able to afford it themselves if they
> > > hadn't already learned it years ago. But they think
> > > it's Ok to charge the "newbies" that much. Go figure.
> >
> > Not only can't they afford TM, or most likely anything else now
> > being sold by the TMO (sidhis, panchakarma, yagyas, s-ved houses,
> > millionaire courses) but many of them would be kicked out of the
TMO
> > if they tried to be active. I assume Brigante's already been
banned
> > and many other TBs here have expressed opinions or admitted to
other
> > interests or discussed mental-emotional problems all of which
would
> > get them in deep hot water if they were actually in the mov't
trying
> > to be a devoted disciple of MMY like they think they are.  I find
> > this really strange.
>
> You seem to be talking about a lot of people, but I
> can think of only two on FFL that defend the current
> prices at all, let alone vociferously; and only one
> of them, I think, would consider himself a "devoted
> disciple" of MMY--and he hasn't "admitted to other
> interests or discussed mental-emotional problems."
> (However, he is sharply critical of the TMO.)
>
> Plus which, if a person "admits to other interests"
> that would get him or her in hot water with the TMO,
> how could that person be called a TB?
>
> One other thought:  There are two aspects to the
> question of whether a long-time TMer who learned
> when the price was reasonable could afford it now.
>
> The first is whether one could afford it *knowing
> what one knows now* about the effects of TM; the
> other is whether one could afford it if one *didn't*
> know its effects.  The answers are likely to be very
> different in each case.
>
> I certainly wouldn't think I could afford to buy
> a pig in a poke, especially given the TMO's current
> nuttiness; but if I knew what was in the poke, I
> would find some way to afford it *despite* the TMO's
> current nuttiness.

That's the crux of it.

I paid $35.00 in '73.

Today -- knowing what I know about the technique -- I'd probably
take out a mortgage and pay $50,000...and that would be a bargain...

But without kowing what I know now -- that is, having the benefits
of 32 plus years of meditating?  I don't think I would pay
$2,500...probably $500.00 max...