> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >

> > --- sparaig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter
> > > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > > published,
> > > than
> > > process

> > > now
> > > >

> > > Which emperical evidence contradicts the ME theory?
> >
> > The prima facie fact that large numbers of meditators
> > in Fairfield, Iowa have not reduced the crime rate
> > there. Post hoc explanations/metaphors such as the
> > "washing machine effect" indicate that the ME theory
> > has a long way to go in its development as a formal
> > theory. I'm not dismissing the ME, but it is far from
> > a complete theory. Right now it is a hypothesis, not a
> > theory.
>
> The ME theory is a large numbers theory. The crime rate of Fairfield
> could be skewed by having a single pickpocket living among the
> sidhas. For that matter, the traffic accident rate during the Taste
> of Utopia course could go up because the town's adult population more
> than doubled (tripled) during that time. To accurately measure the
> predicted claims of the ME, you would need a much larger statistical
> sample population for them to effect than Fairfield, IA, like
> Washington, DC.
>

> That's not to claim that there might not be SOME measurable positive
> effect, only that you can't really claim the ME to be supported or
> non-supported, based on Fairfield statistics (of course, the TMO does
> exactly that when it suits them, but that's the PR biz for you).

Nor can the ME be shown tobe conclusive by just one DC size study. To
show real causality, not mere correlation, or random effects, the
study would need to be done in a number of differnt types of cities,
at different times of the year, over different lengths of time
periods, with different YFs/ population rations, etc. etc. With such
varieddatea, then good statistical analysis can drill deep and see if
the effect is real.