--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Jason Spock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>  In case you don't know, There was a string of brutal rapes in
> india, which included the high profile case of a Swiss diplomat
> raped in Delhi,

In case you don't know, a tenet of many if not all
spiritual traditions is, "What you focus on you become."

<snip>
> Jim Flanegin thinks it's shit not worth reading.  Not taking
> note of reality might put you in fool's paradise.

I think that what Jim was expressing was his feeling
that there might be more productive things in life to
focus on -- and thus become -- than just another
incident of violence in a violent world.

In meditation one has a choice -- whether to focus on
the object of meditation (or, in a TM context, whether
to effortlessly come back to the mantra), or whether
to remain lost in the thoughts and sensations that
have arisen.  That choice -- and what we do with it --
is what makes us human and gives us the ability to
realize our enlightenment.

Outside of meditation, we have the same choice.  We
could choose to focus on the dark stuff, like so many
around us.  But if you really *look* at the lives of
"so many around us" and what they have become as a
result of their focus on the dark stuff, is that what
*you* want to become?  If so, focus on the dark stuff.

If not, there is another possibility.  You can be
aware of the dark stuff, and when it is possible do
whatever you can to eliminate it by exposing it to
light.  But then the rest of the time, you can focus
on something that is a tad more uplifting.  Focus on
laughter in a world of tears and it's the laughter
you become, not the sadness.  Focus on light in the
midst of darkness, and you become light.

'Nuff said.  You're a smart kid...you'll figure it out.