--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > > Seems to me that lecture came out some years later.
> > >
> > > So, is it the sense of the meeting that consciousness
> > > is *not* the unified field?
> >
> > Gotta define both before you can really take a stance.
> >
> > It's really the old Materialism versus Idealism
> > debate: Is consciousness emergent from matter,
> > or is matter emergent from consciousness?
>
> +++ The evidence would indicate the latter.  N.

The interesting thing is that Idealism could
(potentially) be proved, but never disproved;
whereas Materialism could (potentially) be
disproved but never proved.

(Interesting to me, anyway.)

I've never understood why Samuel Johnson would
have thought kicking a rock refuted Idealism.
Unless he just meant the world would *look*
the same if Idealism were the case rather than
Materialism, so it was a meaningless issue.

Which is true--up to a point, at least.