--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Dean Goodman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear Fairfield Lifers,
>
> For the well-being and continuity of our group, I post the
> following information, from today's New York Times news reports:
>
> Annoying someone via the internet is now a federal crime.

Jesus H!  There is just no end to these assaults on our civil
liberties.

I just don't see this being held up by the Supreme Court when a test
case makes it there, and probably soon.  Speech is protected, even
unpopular speech, which "annoying" would seem to be (People v Larry
Flynt).

Also, the Internet is a global network and how can the US regulate
international speech.  For example, if you as an American Citizen
post or blog on a newsgroup or website that it hosted in India, and
you make annoying remarks about an another American citizen, like
Ken Lay, do the feds have far reaching authority to fine/imprison
the ng poster/blogger?

As this administration continues its program to make the US a 3rd
world nation economically, socially, and morally, I see free speech
moving overseas along with our jobs, advance biomedical research,
and the right to choose.