> > > Cool. I will keep it in mind. I'm in a transition period now
> > > where because of age the focal length of my vision is such
> > > that I can read my computer screen perfectly, but can't
> > > easily read books.
> >
> > Tell me about it.  I suffered -- needlessly -- with this
> > same thing for quite a while, until an eye doctor explained
> > it to me and told me how to get around it.  The issue, at
> > least for me, was *light*, not sharpness of vision.  As
> > you get older, the rods and cones in your eyes grow
> > "tired," and don't respond as well to low levels of light.
> > In my case, at my optometrist's suggestion, I bought a
> > few extremely bright halogen lamps, and poof! the problem
> > went away.
> >
> > Where this issue is the biggest problem for me is in an
> > environment where I can't control the lighting.  Glasses
> > don't help if the issue is needing more light.  For
> > example, I've grown used to having to have my date read
> > the dinner bill for me in dimly-lit restaurants.  Cool
> > I guess if it's an expensive restaurant and I've just
> > splurged on dinner, but a bit embarrassing if I've taken
> > her to one of my favorite bargain joints.  :-)
>
> Right, its the light too- which is one reason I can read a
> computer screen more easily...no big deal...

You might also want to look into the sharpness and
the flicker rate of the computer screen itself.  I
had a bad monitor at work for a while, an old-style
CRT monitor.  What I'd notice that was on the Metro
going to work, I could read a book easily, but on
the way home, after looking at the monitor all day,
I couldn't even focus on the page.  Finally I put
two and two together and asked for a different
monitor.  Poof!  The problem went away completely.

None of these suggestions may be relevant to your
situation, but I'm just bringing them up because
I spent a couple of years avoiding reading because
it was no longer comfortable.  Then I figured out
that I didn't have to.