Patrick Gilliam writes:
About 20 years ago, after doing a rigorous physical
purification, I started having the loud and persistent
thought, "I love you." I've been perplexed ever since
as to who's loving whom. Is it my small self loving
the large Self? The large Self loving the small self?
Is my Patrick ego loving God, or vice versa?

This Papajji observation hints at an answer: It's just
love doing what love does -- loving. But the love
desires an object, so it creates one called "you." And
if there's a "you," there needs be an "I." Hence I get
"I love you."

There's a school of thought that love is binding, that
it reconciles opposites and brings disparate elements
together, but perhaps love also breaks the universe
into pieces so that one part can love another.

Tom T:
Awakening reveals that there is no personal self,
and that everything is myself.
It appears to be a paradox.
We find we are nothing and absolutely everything simultaneously.
When we see this, we realize there is nothing more happening
other than love meeting itself --
or we could say you are meeting yourself,
or the Truth is meeting itself, or God is meeting itself.
Love meets itself each moment, even if it's a rotten moment.
This will never happen through the egoic state of consciousness,
filtered through the mind. But from the innocence,
love is simply meeting itself.
If you love me, it meets that.
If you hate me, fine, it meets that, too. And it loves meeting that.
I am talking about the One meeting itself,
realizing itself, experiencing itself.

~Adyashanti
Emptiness Dancing