> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <feste37@> wrote:
> >
> > Bob B has a point. I remember reading one of Chopra's books and
> > being shocked at how he used not only MMY"s ideas but also MMY's
> > exact phrases. There was not an original thought in the book, and
> > yet nowhere was there any acknowledgement of MMY. I remember seeing
> > somewhere later that he said he did this because, since he and the
> > movement had split, he didn't want to embarrass them by mentioning
> > MMY in his books. But that seemed to me a poor excuse. For me, it
> > was a matter of proper acknowledgement of debts and sources -- what
> > you would expect from any honest writer.  Chopra is often
> > described as a "thinker," but it was MMY who supplied him with the
> > thoughts that he later used to become rich and successful. He owes
> > almost everything to MMY, in my opinion.
>
> I'm no Chopra fan, and I agree that he owes his
> success in very large part to MMY.
>
> However, I would be very surprised if the TMO had
> not *asked* him to avoid referring to MMY--if not
> *demanded* that he do so--because they did not want
> him trading on his past association with MMY to
> lend legitimacy to his own teaching.
>
> Chopra may not have any truly original ideas, but he
> has rather sharply departed from MMY's teaching in
> many respects, especially into the kind of New Age
> mood-making that MMY inveighs against (not that there
> isn't mood-making in the TMO, of course, but it's of
> a different sort).
>
> For him to claim that not mentioning MMY was his own
> idea is most likely untrue, but it would be
> unreasonable to expect him to admit it was because the
> TMO didn't want people to think Chopra's teachings had
> MMY's stamp of approval.
>
> So he's kind of between a rock and a hard place on
> this; he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

There would have been no successful marketing of Maharishi Ayurved to
the general public without Chopra.  MMY specifically recruited Chopra
to supply the theoretical underpinings and medical creditials
necessary to market M-ayurved.  It's clear from most the tapes
involving MMY and Chopra discussing ayurved that Chopra is the one
coming up with the theoretical knowledge and the marketing catch
phrases that people would relate to.  Chopra's books and seminars were
hugely successful in the US.  In fact for yrs they were about the only
thing bringing people into the centers to learn TM and into the
clinics to do panchakarma.  Who else in the mov't had the
intelligence, medical credentials, and communications skills to reach
real people like that??  MMY?  Averbach and Rothenstein??  No way,
they could reach Ffld sidhas, but not the average Joe.

To me you're hopelessly biased if you think Chopra was not a very
original thinker and the MMY-Chopra relationship mutually beneficial.
 Just how well are initiations and M-ayurved clinic visits going in
the US since Chopra left the movt?  Yeah all the original thinkers
left in the mov't are doing a bang up job of accomplishing things
aren't they?

And what more could have been accomplished? Chopra was successfully
putting together a high powered group of influential people to promote
consciousness-based solutions in both medicine and other fields -
admission to this group required a net worth of $100 million or being
nationally elected politician.  Chopra led retreat-seminars with them
periodically.  I knew people in DC in this group.  No-one else in the
movt had the ability to attract this caliber of individual.  Chopra
wouldn't allow Bevan to come speak to this group about getting Hagelin
elected president in 1992 (for obvious reasons) and that was the
beginning of the end for Chopra and the mov't.

Now tmers bash Chopra as an unethical hack when he actually did more
for the mov't than bevan and all his cronies put together.